[StBernard] Kaare Johnson Proves He is Still an Ass

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 5 12:55:16 EST 2012

It's time for St. Bernard Parish leaders to abandon their racist housing
practices
News with a Twist: News with a View

Kaare Johnson

St. Bernard parish is getting sued by the federal government over it's crazy
attempt to limit rental property to black people.The parish has been trying
since Katrina to stop blacks, primarily from Orleans Parish, from moving
into St. Bernard, or at least that's the perception.

Since just March of 2009, U.S. District Judge Ginger Berrigan has issued six
contempt motions against St. Bernard for violating federal Fair Housing
laws. U.S. Attorney Jim Letten said that the Department of Justice "is
committed to ensuring that everyone in our community -- regardless of race,
color or national origin -- enjoys the equal protection of our Constitution
and our laws, as well as the absolute right to live in any community of
their choosing without discrimination."

Obviously some so-called leaders in St. Bernard don't get it. If you're
still part of the minority that thinks this is just some crazed agenda of a
liberal judge and it's unfair, look no further than St. Bernard Parish's
post-Katrina attempt at trying to keep blacks out. Who can forget the insane
"rent to a relative only" ordinance? Utterly ridiculous.

The Feds aren't on some witch hunt. It's St. Bernard Parish that's clearly
wrong on this one. Do the right thing and act like it's 2012 and not 1912
and all of this goes away. Or keep up this pathetic, embarrassing fight that
is obviously wrong and can't be won. Doing what's right is the easy call.