[StBernard] beer brewery supposedly proposed for Chalona neighborhood

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 4 15:37:47 EST 2012

The current law states commercial SHALL NOT exceed 250 feet. The new owners
purchased residential property; a brewery requires heavy industrial with a
conditional use.

For whatever it's worth, it has been said by two different St Bernard Parish
Government Officials, that the people should go along with the commercial
zoning change of R1 residential property to Commercial on Chalona Drive,
because if the zoning change is not granted, the new owner of the property
will construct Section 8 Apartments or Housing in back of the Chalona
Apartments.

When I heard this I was appalled that such "blockbusting" tactics would be
used. It is illegal and makes the parish further liable. Further, the
property is zoned R1 residential and only single family dwellings can be
constructed on R1 property. The neighbors, the people that the council is
supposed to represent, do not want the zoning change. It is spot zoning,
which is also illegal.

There is a District C Townhall meeting about this Zoning Change Application
on Monday March 12 2012 at 7pm in Council Chambers.
Plan to attend, sign the petition in opposition, and let the council know we
need to preserve our residential zoning to protect our neighborhoods.-----
SJK