[StBernard] Help fight for honest budgeting in Louisiana

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 8 22:08:50 EDT 2012

The recent state legislative elections were a huge positive break from the past. They were a rejection of the tired and wasteful ways of the good 'ole boys who used to run things in Louisiana.

Of course, that doesn't mean our work as conservative reformers is done. Not by a long shot.

It's up to us to encourage and push our legislators to fight for bold, substantive reforms. And when it comes to our state budget, Louisiana needs its conservative reformers to reject the practice of balancing the annual state budget (recurring expenses) with one-time money (non-recurring revenue).

Using these one-time pots of money to Band-Aid yearly budgets is exactly the kind of gimmick and short-sighted policy-making I fight against daily in Washington. It's not sound fiscal policy, and all it does is kick the can down the road.

This week, members of the Louisiana House have a chance to reject the practice using of one-time money to balance the state budget. It will take their courage and our strong support. But this reform will clearly contribute greatly to improving the long- term health of Louisiana's finances.

Thanks for staying involved and helping move Louisiana toward an even brighter future.

--David Vitter