[StBernard] Home Stretch

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun May 20 12:41:03 EDT 2012

We're entering the final days of the 2012 legislative session. Already,
we've enacted a number of historic reforms, but we've still got more work to
do. As we proceed down the home stretch, I wanted to give you an update on
where things stand.

First and foremost, we passed bold education reforms that are going to
transform our education system to better prepare our kids for success. We
are giving parents more choices, helping put a great teacher in every
classroom, and giving local school leaders more flexibility to effect change
in their schools.

Recently, I signed the first of many important pension reform bills and I
look forward to several more passing out of the Legislature in the coming
days. The bottom line is that our pension system has been on an
unsustainable path for many years and we need reform in order to reduce the
state's retirement debt, reduce the burden on taxpayers, keep our promise to
state employees and protect funding for critical services.

We also recently signed into law important sentencing reforms that will
continue to uphold public safety and ensure that justice served.

Additionally this week, we signed legislation to build on our past efforts
to crack down on sex offenders. As WVLA
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c9213%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=TJeKbBv1%2bil4lBD3pPXn5g&sysid=1> reported, this new law will
prevent sex offenders from residing within three miles of their victims,
knowingly going within 300 feet of their victims and prohibit sex offenders
from communicating with their victims.

Finally, we also made another great economic development announcement this
week. As the Associated Press
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c9214%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=ts1Jc1JBEO%2fWOR%2b%2bhbvF3Q&sysid=1> reported, Metal Shark will
create 106 new jobs and retain an additional 75 existing jobs. This is
another great economic development win for the state and yet another
Louisiana company that is doing its part to give our brave men and women in
the military the resources they need to protect our homeland.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal