[StBernard] Woman killed trying to flag down motorists on I-10

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jun 19 12:45:42 EDT 2012

BASTROP, La. -
State police say a 35-year-old St. Bernard Parish woman who tried to flag
down motorists on Interstate 10 in Metairie to avoid a man who was beating
her was hit by two vehicles and killed.

Trooper Melissa Matey says Lucretia Hampton was pronounced dead at the scene
shortly after the 9 p.m. Sunday.

Matey says 39-year-old George Washington Cummings IV of New Orleans was
booked with second-degree battery and manslaughter.

Matey says emergency operators received several calls about a man beating a
woman inside a vehicle parked on the shoulder of I-10 near Veterans Memorial
Boulevard.

Witnesses told troopers the couple got out of the car and the man continued
to hit the woman. The woman then apparently tried to flag down motorists
when she was hit by two vehicles.