[StBernard] Committed to Protecting Lake Pontchartrain

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 21 21:09:39 EDT 2012

The first bill that I ever passed in Congress was the Lake Pontchartrain Restoration Act. Growing up in New Orleans, Lake Pontchartrain has been the background for so many great childhood memories, and anyone from the area would tell you how woven the lake is in everyday life there.

And we've accomplished a great deal since the passage of that Pontchartrain Restoration law – including improvements in water cleanliness and the return of birds and sea life to the lake. This body of water was once not safe enough for swimming, but now it is reopened for beach going and swimming.

My bill ensures that Lake Pontchartrain is granted similar status as the Great Lakes and Florida Everglades for restoration efforts.

But even with this great progress, more must be done to build on this advancement and finish the job. That's why my reauthorization of this program received bipartisan support in the Senate Environment Committee and is expected to pass the full Senate very soon.

David