[StBernard] New Chalmette bar shut down for operating without state and parish liquor permits

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jul 1 10:19:50 EDT 2012

New Chalmette bar shut down for operating without state and parish liquor
permits

Published: Saturday, June 30, 2012, 6:00 PM

By Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, The Times-Picayune

A new Chalmette bar owned by St. Bernard Parish Council member George
Cavignac and parish public works official Craig Smith was shut down by state
officials on Friday for operating without proper state and parish liquor
permits. Pitched as "Chalmette's newest hot spot," the Drunken Monkey at 308
E. Judge Perez Drive featured a "Hump Day" party on Wednesday with
two-for-one drinks all night for female patrons. One picture from that event
shows three women pole dancing next to the bar's pool tables.

The bar formerly operated as Desi Romano's Sports Bar.

After it was closed down Friday, a message was posted on its Facebook page,
stating: "Sorry Monkey Lovers, but we had to cancel our event for the
weekend due to circumstance out of our control. ... We will re-open next
week and the 4th Festivities will commence!!"

Louisiana Office of Alcohol & Tobacco Control enforcement agent Brandon
Monju called Cavignac on Friday afternoon and asked Cavignac to meet him at
the bar, where Monju told him the bar was being shuttered.

Cavignac and Smith purchased the bar from Desi Romano on June 1 through a
limited liability company named GC3, which Cavignac and Smith had registered
with the state on May 31.

A Times-Picayune reporter received a tip about the impending shutdown and
later called Cavignac to inquire about it. Neither Monju nor Alcohol &
Tobacco Control Commissioner Troy Hebert immediately returned calls for
comment.

Cavignac confirmed that he and Smith had been operating the bar since June
1, but he said they were simply managing the bar under Romano's state and
parish liquor permits through a transitional agreement allowed by state law.

"Desi's licenses are still on the wall. His licenses are still operating.
During the transition, I am managing for him until I get my liquor
licenses," Cavignac said.

Desi Romano's Sports Bar, which now is operating a few blocks away at 3809
Paris Road, is a well-known St. Bernard night spot, billed as "Chalmette's
answer to Cheers."

Cavignac said he had forgotten to include the transitional agreement in the
paperwork he gave to the state on Tuesday in applying for his state liquor
permit. Because of that omission, he said, he was forced to shut down the
bar for the weekend.

"It was a glitch in the paperwork," Cavignac said. He said he would email
the agreement to Alcohol & Tobacco Control on Monday and then hopes to have
the bar up and running by Wednesday for July 4 business.

"Then I'll no longer be managing Desi's establishment. I will then take full
ownership," he said.

The St. Bernard Parish Council is set to vote on approving a beer and liquor
permit for the Drunken Monkey when it meets Tuesday at 7 p.m. It is one of
10 alcohol licenses that the council is scheduled to vote on at the meeting.

The Drunken Monkey is one of two businesses asking for a new license. The
other requests are for license renewals.

"I will abstain from that (vote on his business) of course," Cavignac said.

On June 22, for what was labeled the bar's "Beach Birthday Blowout of the
Summer" bash, in part to mark the Drunken Monkey's first month, it
advertised "Bikinis and Beer, Swimsuits and Shots ... What else do you
want?!?! LOL"

A photo previewing the bash featured a monkey with three bikini-clad women
kneeling on either side of it.

Cavignac and Smith both were registered for the event on Facebook and more
than 400 people were invited, including many St. Bernard Parish employees.

Benjamin Alexander-Bloch can be reached at bbloch at timespicayune.com or
504.826.3321.

C 2012 NOLA.com. All rights reserved.