[StBernard] Louisianians in the Summer Olympics

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jul 26 22:30:32 EDT 2012

Team,

The Summer Olympic Games are always a time of great national pride and unity. The main reason why is that – more than the appeal of the different events themselves – Americans love hearing these athletes’ stories of hard work and determination, which are so integral to our American soul.

And every four years, I enjoy discovering and following the many Olympic athletes with Louisiana connections.

Of course, Louisianians and people across the world already know about LSU’s Lolo Jones, who has an amazing story and has overcome so many challenges on her way to becoming a world-class hurdler and two-time Olympian.

I also just read another great story of perseverance – particularly in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina – in the coverage of Louisiana Tech alum (and New Orleans native) Chelsea Hayes, who will be competing in the long jump.

We can also be proud of Lafayette native Savannah Vinsant, who is just 19 years old and will compete in the trampoline gymnastics events.

I know there are a bunch more, and over the next two weeks, I look forward to hearing their stories and rooting them on as they compete on the biggest stage in the entire world of sports.

But more than that, I hope all Americans can use these Olympics to rekindle our faith in the traditional American values of hard work and determination. In these recent years, many Americans feel crippled by the economy, and too many of us have lost faith in these basic principles.

And so, I hope as you and your family cheer on our athletes as they carry our flag in London, you’ll take comfort knowing that the great fighting American spirit lives on – not just in these exceptional athletes, but in the hearts of millions of our fellow citizens.

All the best,

David