[StBernard] "I am an idiot, unlike my dad.", Kaare Johnson

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 31 09:29:27 EDT 2012

Are two hospitals in the same area necessary?
Kaare Johnson

News with a View
2:52 p.m. CDT, July 30, 2012

Mayor Mitch Landrieu has recently said again that a hospital will be built
in New Orleans East, and I guess that's a good thing. "Guess" being the
operative word.

The mayor and his people say a small hospital is needed for the 70,000 or so
residents that make up the East. I say the mostly black folks of New
Orleans East and the mostly white people of Chalmette should have built a
hospital on Paris Road at the Chalmette/New Orleans East border. A single
hospital that would have served both communities because a single hospital
is all that's needed for the East and Chalmette.

St Bernard Parish already opened their hospital and New Orleans East is hell
bent on building theirs. I'm pretty sure New Orleans East and St Bernard
are both parts of Greater New Orleans, even though they lie east of the
city.

One bigger state-of-the-art hospital would have served the area better and
provided higher quality and more complete health care than the two smaller
hospitals. Building two hospitals in the same area is wasting precious tax
dollars and clearly isn't necessary.