[StBernard] Entergy Update 8-30-12 (11:00 a. m.)

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 30 12:11:17 EDT 2012

St. Bernard Parish Tropical Storm Isaac Update #4

Entergy Update 8-30-12 (11:00 a. m.)

Entergy crews continue to work throughout the parish to restore power to
our customers.

The Munster plant is now in service along with the residential customers
served by that particular feeder.

We now have several assessment teams from other areas of our company in to
assist with the restoration effort. These teams will be in neighborhoods
looking for downed power lines, broken poles, open fuses, etc,

to let us know where major repairs need to be made so that we can attend
to big fixes and restore power to our customers Safely.

· Our priority is to assess damage and restore power to customers
safely and quickly. Restoration activities include:

o Repair transmission lines and substations to be able to move large
amounts of power.

o Restore emergency services, life support facilities (police stations,
hospitals, fire stations) and communications networks.

o Repair the backbone feeders that carry power from substations to our
customers.

· Customers should stay safe. Stay away from downed power lines
and flooded areas. Electricity and water don’t mix! We ask our customers
not to trim trees that have pulled down power lines, and not to remove
power lines from fences, gates or in debris, please consider all downed
lines to be energized.

· If gas appliances have been under water, call a licensed gas
fitter or plumber to inspect and repair them. If high water has
extinguished the gas pilot, the gas supply should be cut off as quickly as
possible. To relight, call a licensed plumber.

Generator Safety

· Customers must never connect a generator directly to a
building’s wiring without a licensed electrician disconnecting the house
wiring from Entergy’s service. Otherwise, it can create a safety hazard
for the customer or Entergy’s linemen working to restore power. And it may
damage the generator or the house wiring.

· If customers choose to use a generator, they should buy one only
from a reputable dealer who can service and maintain the unit.

· Customers should always use portable electric generators in
accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

· A gasoline engine usually powers stand-alone generators.
Customers should use them only in well-ventilated areas. Never use a
generator indoors as carbon monoxide from the exhaust is deadly.

· If the generator has panel-mounted electrical receptacles as
part of the unit, appliances may be plugged directly into the generator.

· The generator should be properly sized for the expected load.
For example, a 3-kilowatt generator will produce 3,000 watts. This is
enough power for a 1,200-watt hair dryer and a 1,600-watt toaster, with
some power left over for a few light bulbs. Customers should plan for
additional needs when sizing their generator.

· Customers should consult with suppliers, vendors and local
electrical utility companies about required permits before starting any
work in a home or business.

More updates will follow throughout the restoration of service.