[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish lets water bandits come clean until Sept. 4

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 31 11:25:53 EDT 2012

St. Bernard Parish lets water bandits come clean until Sept. 4

Published: Friday, August 24, 2012, 5:26 PM Updated: Friday, August 24,
2012, 5:27 PM

By Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, The Times-Picayune

The St. Bernard Parish Council has agreed to give amnesty to parish water
scofflaws for the next two weeks. The council members hope the amnesty will
bring forward parish residents who are not receiving water bills. They also
hope the amnesty will mean that a new $32 monthly fire protection fee on
each water bill beginning Sept. 1 is paid by all residents and businesses.

The council recently approved the $32 fee for the remainder of 2012. The
revenue is needed to prevent layoffs at the parish's Fire Department,
officials said.

Residents who are not receiving a water bill can submit their names to the
Water and Sewer Department by Sept. 4, and the administration will not
charge them any back penalties. After Sept. 4, the parish will conduct an
audit of every address to ensure each house is receiving a bill, said
Councilman Richie Lewis, who proposed the resolution.

"We want to make sure we have everyone on the books," he said.

Nonpaying residents who do not submit their names by Sept. 4 will be forced
to pay back all that is owed.

Chief Administrative Officer Jerry Graves acknowledged it might be difficult
to prove past water use. He said he's certain that active water meters are
getting billed but that scofflaws likely have found a way to circumvent the
meters while still receiving water.

If they are not using the meters, it would be hard to determine how much
they've used.

Graves said the parish could bill such people the minimum water bill for
each month, about $16. Lewis suggested the parish could bill the minimum
charge for as long as the nonpaying users have occupied their home.

"We can prove how long you've owned your home, so we'll charge you $16 a
month for however long that was, unless you can prove that you have paid
your bill or not used water since then," Lewis said.

Residents can submit their names to the parish Water and Sewer Department at
1111 E. St. Bernard Highway, Chalmette, LA 70043 or by phone at
504.271.1681.