[StBernard] St. Bernard Sheriff: "How low-class can people get?"

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 18 15:33:18 EDT 2012

St. Bernard Sheriff: "How low-class can people get?"

WGNO News

10:28 p.m. CDT, September 17, 2012

Braithwaite- If stealing hurricane donations isn't low enough, wait till you
find out which supplies somebody made-off with.

Suzanne Shaffer heads-up the Team Braithwaite Foundation, collecting and
distributing items to hurricane Isaac flood victims, "It was all brand new
merchandise. Things we don't get on a day to day basis."

Shaffer says donated goods valued at $15,000 were stolen over the weekend at
the Lynn Oaks School gymnasium near the Plaquemines Parish line, "Hit cha
when you`re down, you know. I`m from Braithwaite. I also lost my home."

The weekend burglary was discovered Sunday about 1:30 pm.

What team Braithwaite says hurts most is that thieves made off with the most
valuable and hard to come by commodities of all. Baby supplies.

"They took everything," says volunteer Sam Lewis. "The kids' stuff at that,
you know. They took all the kids' stuff and I think that was wrong. Whoever
took it, God will answer them."

"The toiletries, the diapers and the wipes just delivered Thursday and
Friday," says Shaffer.

She says much needed cleaning supplies and gloves were also taken.

Those items were to be given to firefighters on Monday to distribute, "One
of their wives got a baby that's due any day now actually. And she lost
everything in the storm from her baby shower."

Col. John Doran at the St. Bernard Sheriff's Office says they suspect
whoever broke into the donation center had been there before, "They had some
working knowledge of the establishment. I think they targeted items that
they think they can resell. We do think there is probably more than one. It
had to be at least a trailer or a couple of pick- up trucks."

Col. Doran says there are no known suspects at this time and he's asking the
public for help, "Anything. We`re asking for any help we can get right now."

Anyone with info should call 504-271-2501 or Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111

Team Braithwaite still needs donations. The distribution center is located
at Lynn Oaks School-

1 Lynn Oaks Dr, Braithwaite, LA (504) 682-3171