[StBernard] Celebrating the Constitution

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 19 18:31:24 EDT 2012

Team,

This week, on September 17, we celebrated Constitution Day, which commemorates the formation and signing of the U.S. Constitution on September 17, 1787. If you haven’t already, take time to reread it.

I don’t know of any other guide that is so clear and on target about the proper size and scope of government. Even today, it provides great reference for some of our biggest challenges like the debate over the separations of powers between the legislative, executive and judicial branches of government.

So parents, I encourage you to take a few moments to talk to your family about our Constitution’s importance. And teachers, I encourage you to put some time aside to teach about it.

Our future generations need to understand our founding principles of limited government and freedom if we hope for these virtues to still exist for their children and grandchildren.

Ronald Reagan famously said, “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.” Our best antidote to fight this perpetual erosion of freedom is to pass on the brilliance and the lessons of our founding fathers.

David