[StBernard] Buckets of Books being collected for local residents affected by Hurricane Isaac

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 21 07:50:33 EDT 2012

"Buckets of Books"

"As Hurricane Isaac victims carry out countless buckets of storm debris,
many will be filled with swollen, soggy children's books. After experiencing
the complete devastation caused by Katrina (three feet of water in our
attic) it wasn't until I saw a pile of books at a distribution center in
Marksville, LA that the flood of our book loss hit me. Looking through
familiar story books to pick the 2 books allotted per family tears rolled
down my cheeks as I realized how many favorite books I would never be able
to replace for my two children, Sophie and Alex. How do you think about
books when you need to gut, repair, and replace an entire house?"
- Polly Campbell, Kiwanis of St. Bernard-Arabi past
president

The Aktion Club of Chalmette, partnered with the Kiwanis Club of St.
Bernard-Arabi and The Ohio State University, is collecting new and gently
used children's books to benefit the children of Braithwaite and Lower St.
Bernard Parish who were affected by Hurricane Isaac. We plan to distribute
the books by the end of fall.

Reading fosters quality family time and provides the foundation for academic
success. Help us put books back in the hands of children who need them while
their parents focus on cleaning and repairing. You will be making a lasting
donation to our community!

Gently used and new children's books will be collected until October 18 at:
Arc's Chalmette Community Center
3700 Jean Lafitte Parkway
Chalmette, LA 70043
Drop off or mail your donation labeled "Bucket of Books" Mon.-Fri. between
9:00am and 3:00pm.

Polly (Kiwanis)- 504.554.7134 or Katie (Ohio)- 703.350.7904 or Kristi (Arc)-
504.301.4360