[StBernard] Investing in Growth

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 29 21:06:12 EDT 2012

Dear Friends -

This week we announced another major economic development win for Louisiana.
ExxonMobil is making a $215 million capital investment to expand the
company's Baton Rouge Chemical Plant and Port Allen Lubricants Plant to
produce synthetic aerospace lubricants and other products. As the Baton
Rouge Advocate
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c0557%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=Hh4KFiRNtUCpiHuKhXJ9QQ&sysid=1> reported, this expansion will create
45 new, direct jobs and retain more than 2,600 jobs at ExxonMobil. The
project will also result in the creation of 389 new, indirect jobs in the
area which means this win will create more than 400 new jobs in the Capital
Region.

ExxonMobil has a long history in Louisiana. The company's operations provide
jobs for 5,500 direct employees and contractors at eight area facilities. To
put this in context, ExxonMobil jobs support nearly seven additional jobs in
the state - that's more than 41,500 Louisianians and their families who are
impacted by ExxonMobil's business.

We also received great news this week on our efforts to give parents more
choices for their children's education. Every child deserves the
opportunity to a great education. This week, the Advocate
<http://cl.publicaster.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c0558%7c9390%7c791501&
digest=GyJfjM%2b%2fwnUkC3xYGAj7fg&sysid=1> reported that early reports from
schools participating in the program has been "overwhelmingly positive."
Principals at these schools are reporting that the number of students
applying exceeded their capacity and the parents of kids receiving
opportunity scholarships are invested in their children's education.

That's great news for our kids and great news for our state. As we continue
to take the steps necessary to make our state more competitive for business
growth, retention, and expansion - it's critical that we also invest in our
workers today and the workers of tomorrow. That's what our education
reforms are all about - putting Louisiana in a position for rapid economic
growth because of a quality workforce and quality jobs.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal