[StBernard] Holding BP Accountable For Oil Spill Cleanup

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 3 21:57:10 EDT 2012

Dear Friend,

The 2010 Gulf oil spill was one of the most significant environmental
disasters of our lifetime, and the cleanup work is still incomplete.
Hurricane Isaac made it even clearer that oil remains along Louisiana's
coastline.

I'm working to hold BP's feet to the fire to ensure that they're not just
financially responsible, but also actually cleaning up the remaining oil as
well as the equipment that was used at the time of the response that is now
buried in the waters and mud along the coast. BP is sure spending a lot of
money advertising about how they're "making it right." The problem is
they're not done cleaning up the coast, and many folks fear they're trying
to run away from their full responsibilities now that this story is off the
front page of the newspaper.

<https://iqs3.solutions.lmit.com/iqextranet/iqClickTrk.aspx?&cid=quorum_vitt
er-iq&crop=19309.190052816.14329548.16202442&redirect=http%3a%2f%2fwww.vitte
r.senate.gov%2fpublic%2findex.cfm%3fFuseAction%3dMultimedia.Video%26amp%3bVi
deo_id%3d22a2d111-f6e1-68a6-03da-70bb3fbfa8dc%26amp%3bPageNum%3d1>
Click here
<https://iqs3.solutions.lmit.com/iqextranet/iqClickTrk.aspx?&cid=quorum_vitt
er-iq&crop=19309.190052816.14329548.16202442&redirect=http%3a%2f%2fwww.vitte
r.senate.gov%2fpublic%2findex.cfm%3fFuseAction%3dMultimedia.Video%26amp%3bVi
deo_id%3d22a2d111-f6e1-68a6-03da-70bb3fbfa8dc%26amp%3bPageNum%3d1> to watch
a video previewing Vitter's briefing with the Senate Environment Committee.

This week I hosted an official briefing with the U.S. Senate Environment and
Public Works Committee on the status of BP's clean-up of the Gulf. We took
testimony from officials with the U.S. Coast Guard, the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Louisiana Coastal Protection and
Restoration Authority and other officials from the area. Unfortunately, BP
didn't show up to the briefing.

Click here
<https://iqs3.solutions.lmit.com/iqextranet/iqClickTrk.aspx?&cid=quorum_vitt
er-iq&crop=19309.190052816.14329548.16202442&redirect=http%3a%2f%2fwww.chron
.com%2fbusiness%2farticle%2fLa-Sen-blasts-BP-Coast-Guard-over-spill-cleanup-
3912963.php> to read some of the news coverage from our briefing.

The purpose of our efforts is to prevent BP from walking away from the
clean-up before it's complete, have the Coast Guard get tougher on BP, and
ensure that Louisiana's coastal restoration efforts are successful.

Sincerely,

David Vitter