[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish garbage and disposal funds could move into general fund

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 30 09:18:29 EST 2012

St. Bernard Parish garbage and disposal funds could move into general fund
By Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on November 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM, updated November 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM Print

St. Bernard Parish garbage collections and disposal funds would shift into
the general fund if a Dec. 8 ballot proposal passes. Council Chairman Guy
McInnis, who introduced the proposed rededication of the half-cent sales
tax, says the measure would allow the parish to use any extra funds,
currently dedicated only for sanitation, to help pay for other parish
services.

"So in the future, if our sales tax goes up, or if we find some savings in
sanitation, then we can use that income," McInnis said. "We ought to be able
to free up that money so we could use it for other areas if we find ways to
save money or if sales tax revenue generated goes up."

The half-cent tax is expected to bring in about $3.3 million next year. The
parish also has a 3.04-mill sanitation tax that is expected to generate
about $980,000.

Parish officials expect to break even on garbage pickup and disposal costs
next year, with the sales and property tax revenues adequately covering the
costs. That's after the parish recently renegotiated its contract with
Progressive Waste Solutions -- formerly SDT Waste & Debris Services -- from
around $5 million annually to around $4.3 million.

"We ought to be able to free up that money." -- Guy McInnis
If the proposed rededication of the half-cent tax passes -- thereby allowing
parish government to use the funds to support other departments -- some
residents have questioned whether the council would institute a garbage fee
to free up some of the now-unrestricted, half-cent tax dollars.

Implementing such a fee isn't expected, McInnis said.

"I am not asking to rededicate this fee so that we can put a garbage fee on
to residents," McInnis said.

While McInnis does think that the Parish Council legally could institute
such a fee, he says he wouldn't support it.