[StBernard] St. Bernard Fire Dept. slated for massive cuts without property tax increase

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Dec 3 09:06:27 EST 2012

St. Bernard Fire Dept. slated for massive cuts without property tax increase

wwltv.com

Posted on December 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM

ST. BERNARD PARISH, La. - Voters in St. Bernard Parish will decide whether
to increase their property taxes to pay for the fire department next
weekend. It's a controversial millage increase that parish leaders hope will
plug a $6 million budget shortfall.

>From towering flames, to chest pains, firefighters are often the first

responders in a crisis.

In St. Bernard Parish at any given time, 30 firefighters are on duty, but
that number could soon be slashed to seven, according to Fire Chief Tommy
Stone.

"You're going to look at waiting 20 minutes in some areas for a fire engine
to get there on a fire," said Stone.

A multi-million dollar shortfall in sales tax revenue means St. Bernard
can't afford to fund its fire department, said Stone.

And unless voters agree to more than double the fire millage, from eight
mills to 20, the vital service is slated for big cuts.

Without the millage increase, the fire department says it would have to lay
off 79 firefighters, nearly three quarters of the force.

"I'm afraid for the firefighters losing their jobs. I'm afraid for the
community being affected," said Stone.

Fire station #2, on W. Judge Perez, is one of seven brand new fire stations
built with FEMA funds that's in danger of shutting down without a property
tax hike.

Only three fire stations would remain open parish-wide, said Stone.

But homeowners like Jack Lafitte believe the parish is spending money in the
wrong places.

"I think they're using the fire department as a hostage to get money out the
people," said Lafitte.

Recently, the parish tacked a $32 "fire protection" fee onto property
owner's water bills. A group went to court arguing it was an illegal tax.
The fee will not be added to November and December water bills. And parish
officials say the fee will disappear for good if voters approve the millage
increase.

Lafitte's not convinced it's necessary.

"I don't think there's going to be any difference. Somebody's going to step
up like they always did," he said.

But fire officials say the 12 mill increase is crucial to maintain a basic
service in St. Bernard.

If the millage increase passes,a property owner with a $200,000 home would
pay an extra $255 per year. A property owner with a home assessed at
$100,000 would pay an extra $51 annually.

Fire officials say, without adequate fire protection, homeowners insurance
would skyrocket.

The measure is slated to come up for a vote December 8th.

Parish President Dave Peralta did not return our calls for comment.