[StBernard] Big Job Wins

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 18 20:59:48 EST 2012

Dear Friends -

The last couple weeks have been chock full of major economic development
wins for Louisiana.

In Central Louisiana, we announced that UPS Midstream Services Inc. is
investing more than $3.9 million to construct a new full-service machine
facility. As the Jena Times
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c0963%7c9390%7c791
501&digest=w%2bQ1p1QXBhiEzD1PRF7TIg&sysid=1> reported, the new facility
will create 95 direct jobs, and over 100 indirect jobs, for a total of
roughly 200 new jobs in Central Louisiana.

In Northeast Louisiana, Drax Biomass International announced that the
company is building a new wood pellet facility in Bastrop and a
storage-and-shipping facility in Baton Rouge. As NBC33
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c0964%7c9390%7c791
501&digest=ckWyxGpcL3ziKPrpJ7o5RQ&sysid=1> reported, the two projects will
combine to create 63 new direct jobs, and an estimated 143 indirect jobs,
for a total of more than 200 new jobs for Louisiana.

LocalMed, a digital healthcare startup and homegrown Louisiana company, will
create 52 new jobs in Baton Rouge. As the Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c0975%7c9390%7c791
501&digest=vwN6iThIfYSElgr8VSNimg&sysid=1> reported, LocalMed considered
investing in Texas and Florida, but ultimately chose to stay in Louisiana.

These announcements come on the heels of perhaps some of the biggest
economic development news Louisiana has ever had. As part of a plan to
convert natural gas to liquid fuels, Sasol is investing up to $21 billion in
Southwest Louisiana. This project will create over 7,000 direct and indirect
jobs.

As the New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c0976%7c9390%7c791
501&digest=n5g4qH07uRoQwgF3B0JQag&sysid=1> reported, this project will be
the largest single manufacturing investment in the history of Louisiana and
it also represents one of the largest foreign direct investment
manufacturing projects in the history of the entire country. Not only that,
but Sasol's investment is a huge step forward to help the United States
become more energy independent.

Despite a tough national economy, Sasol and many other companies are making
significant investments in Louisiana because of our strong business climate
and world-class workforce. These wins are great news for Louisiana, but
we've got more work to do, and we will not rest until all of our sons and
daughters can pursue their dreams here at home.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal