[StBernard] 2012

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 20 20:42:37 EST 2012

2012

Dear Friend,

2012 was a remarkably productive year for Louisiana. From coastal
restoration to economic growth, we scored many victories to move Louisiana
forward.

Watch the short video below as I recap the progress we made in 2012.
<http://ct.symplicity.com/t/lan/fb30406d8470f151379e8f284185015a/411546583/r
ealurl=http://youtu.be/Z9LuWnMr_NU>

<http://ct.symplicity.com/t/lan/fb30406d8470f151379e8f284185015a/411546583/r
ealurl=http://youtu.be/Z9LuWnMr_NU>

Coastal Protection
In June, Congress passed the RESTORE Act, directing 80 percent of the Clean
Water Act fines paid by BP back to the Gulf Coast for economic and
ecological restoration. This unprecedented legislation will provide a down
payment on our state's Coastal Master Plan, which restores wetlands and
protects coastal communities to preserve our unique culture and vital
industries.

The RESTORE Act was part of a bipartisan transportation bill to rebuild our
crumbling roads, rail, bridges and other critical infrastructure. The bill
will help create thousands of jobs in Louisiana.

What are some of the other victories? Watch the recap.
<http://ct.symplicity.com/t/lan/fb30406d8470f151379e8f284185015a/411546583/r
ealurl=http://youtu.be/Z9LuWnMr_NU>

Infrastructure and Hurricane Protection This was great progress, but as we
were reminded when Hurricane Isaac made landfall in August, our nation's
investment in flood protection infrastructure is dangerously insufficient.
The $14.5 billion hurricane protection system for the Greater New Orleans
area, which the federal government funded after Hurricane Katrina, worked.
However, the surrounding communities still need flood protection. I have
redoubled my efforts to secure resources to complete the necessary flood
protection projects across coastal Louisiana.

Small Business
All businesses, especially small businesses, count on having solid
transportation, flood protection and digital infrastructure to thrive and
grow. Throughout the year, I brought experts under one roof in Louisiana
communities to help small business owners gain access to capital, discover
trade opportunities and take advantage of training.

I'm committed to helping all businesses grow, particularly small businesses.
If every one of the 80,000 small businesses in Louisiana hired just one more
person, the recession would be far in our rearview mirror.

Keep reading or watch why 2012 was a great year for Louisiana.
<http://ct.symplicity.com/t/lan/fb30406d8470f151379e8f284185015a/411546583/r
ealurl=http://youtu.be/Z9LuWnMr_NU>

Supporting Our Military and Veterans
Louisiana continues its strong role in supporting many branches of our armed
forces. We saw the continued development of Fort Polk, the continued growth
of the Cyber Innovation Center, the recognition of our National Guard Air
Traffic Control Squadron's excellence and dedication to its mission, and the
expansion of Louisiana-built cutters for the Coast Guard. In addition, our
state is home to more than 400,000 veterans. I worked this year to ensure we
keep the promises we have made to them whether that is housing, health care
or employment.

I look forward to building on our accomplishments together as we ring in
2013.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,

Mary Landrieu