[StBernard] Chalmette National Cemetery participated in Wreaths Across America for the first time

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 3 23:04:53 EST 2013

Chalmette National Cemetery participated in Wreaths Across America for the
first time
By Alison Schroeder
on January 03, 2013 at 11:01 AM, updated January 03, 2013 at 11:12 AM Print

One of the most prominent signs of holiday cheer is a simple green wreath
adorned with a red bow. And, the mission of an organization called Wreaths
Across America is to bring a sense of rememberance and respect by placing
holiday wreaths on the graves of fallen soldiers in military cemeteries
throughout the United States. This year, for the first time, Chalmette
National Cemetery was among the solemn burial places to become a part of
this tradition.

Captain James Lyon of the New Orleans Civil Air Patrol said he spearheaded
the effort effort last month because of the rich history of the Chalmette
National Cemetery.

"I began to work with Wreaths Across America in 2011, collecting
sponsorships for wreaths at the Port Hudson National Cemetery," Lyon said.
"I started to ask myself, 'why hasn't anyone done this in Chalmette? ' This
is a national cemetery with such important history."

Hundreds of wreaths to remember and honor Veterans lay on the graves of
soldiers at Chalmette National Cemetery on Saturday Dec. 15. The event was
part of Wreaths Across America. (Brian Kozak Photo)

The Chalmette National Cemetery is the final resting place of close to
16,000 fallen soldiers. It was established in 1864 as a burial place for
Union soldiers who died in Louisiana during the Civil War, but it also
houses the remains of soldiers from the Spanish-American War, World Wars I
and II, the Vietnam War and the War of 1812.

The Wreaths Across America program values the importance of remembering
these fallen soldiers whose graves would otherwise go undecorated during the
holiday season, Lyon said. The program was founded in 1992 at the Arlington
National Cemetery and has since grown to be a worldwide celebration.

It's really about celebrating the fallen soldiers." Captain James Lyon

"It's really about celebrating the fallen soldiers," Lyon said. "This event
is a ceremony to honor them and an opportunity for the public to celebrate
the cost of freedom and the importance of remembering our country's
history."

Lyon solicited sponsorships and support to bring the initiative to
Chalmette, and his efforts rendered much success.

"We had a group of about 150 volunteers who laid out 640 wreaths, and we are
already planning for 2013," Lyon said. "I am hopeful that we can get that
number close to 2,500 in 2013."

Lyon said sponsorships for wreaths can come from individuals or businesses.
Sponsorships are accepted in the form of monetary donations or by donating
an actual wreath. Each wreath costs about $15.

"This was a truly moving event and we are proud of what we were able to do
for our first year," Lyon said. "We had lots of organizations and volunteers
and it's always amazing to see how many people come out to show their
support."

The St. Bernard Kiwanis Club was instrumental in lending volunteer support
for the event. Kiwanis member Tracy Duplantier said the experience was a
memorable one.

"Participating in this event was wonderful," Duplantier said. "It gave me a
chance to locally be a part of what is being done on a much larger scale
throughout our nation to recognize fallen heroes who have fought for our
freedom and those who have not made it home. It reminded me of all the
reasons I have to be proud to be an American and the great sacrifice that so
many have made so that others can continue to enjoy freedom."

Duplantier said the youth of St. Bernard should be encouraged to participate
next year.

"I think the event is important for our parish and specifically for our
youth," Duplantier said. "Having this type of memorial and allowing the
youth to take part in giving tribute is so valuable for them, but it's also
an important hands-on experience that helps to shape the next generation."

For more information about the program, or to become a sponsor, visit
www.wreathsacrossamerica.org or contact Lyon at 504.469.0980.