[StBernard] Housing voucher applicants break out into fight in Chalmette

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 9 21:13:37 EST 2013

Housing voucher applicants break out into fight in Chalmette

wwltv.com
Posted on January 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Updated today at 5:41 PM
WWLTV.com
Email: webteam at wwltv.com | Twitter: @WWLTV

CHALMETTE, La. -- Fights broke out Wednesday afternoon at a housing voucher
application center in Chalmette, forcing officials to shut it down.

St. Bernard deputies arrested six people for various offenses throughout the
day.

Witnesses say tempers flared after some applicants tried to cut in front of
others who had been waiting in very long lines.
Some people told us they had waited for hours, but never got to file their
applications after officials shut it down.

"I'm on disability, so that is really putting me in a very hurtful
situation," said applicant Kelly Ford.

Parish officials say they will re-open the housing voucher application
process again at 9 a.m. Thursday at the St. Bernard Civic Center.