[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Celebrates Arbor Day with Tree Seedling Giveaway on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jan 19 00:33:05 EST 2013

St Bernard Parish to Celebrate Arbor Day with Tree Seedling Giveaway
Saturday, January 26, 2013

Parish Secured Tree Grant from Apache Corporation

St. Bernard Parish Government will celebrate Louisiana Arbor Day by holding
its Second Annual Tree Seedling Giveaway on Saturday, January 26th at the
Arc Center located at 3700 Jean Lafitte Parkway in Chalmette.

The event will begin at 10:00 a.m. and last until 2:00 p.m. with bald
cypress and live oak seedlings available. Residents receiving the free
seedlings will be asked to sign a document agreeing to follow the parish's
tree planting regulations.

Seedlings not distributed at the giveaway will be planted in parish
wetlands.

The tree seedlings were secured by Saint Bernard Parish Government's Grants
Department from the Apache Corporation, a Houston-based oil and gas
exploration and production company.

With the most recent award, the Apache Corporation has now made four tree
allocations to Saint Bernard Parish. Trees from the Apache Corporation have
been planted across the parish, including at schools, parks and wetlands.

"We're grateful for the Apache Corporation's continued support for the
beautification of our community and the repopulation of our wetlands with
new trees," said Parish President Dave Peralta.

Though Arbor Day is celebrated nationally on the last Friday of April,
Louisiana celebrates its Arbor Day in January. Due to the state's warm
climate, the ideal tree planting period in Louisiana is December through
February.

The seedling giveaway is sponsored by Saint Bernard Parish Government, the
Apache Corporation, Saint Bernard Parish Parks and Parkways Commission and
Little Leaf of Louisiana.

For more information about the event, please contact Mike Bayham at
278-1033.