[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish residents wake up to oiled cars from Chalmette Refinery

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 23 08:53:34 EST 2013

St. Bernard Parish residents wake up to oiled cars from Chalmette Refinery
By Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on January 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM, updated January 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM Print

Dozens of St. Bernard Parish residents woke up on Sunday morning to crude
oil splattered on their vehicles from the ExxonMobile Chalmette Refinery,
according to several homeowners who live near the refinery on St. Bernard
Highway. The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality confirmed Tuesday
that the department estimates that the Chalmette Refinery had a 36-barrel
spill.

"Sunday morning, it was just completely covered, completely in oil," said
Steve Stewart, who lives at 2121 Montesquieu Street in Chalmette, just a
couple blocks from the refinery. "I took it to the car wash, which was
packed, more people there than I'd ever seen.

"All of them had oiled cars."

The refinery has set up a hotline for cleanup purposes that impacted
residents can call - 1.855.276.2409.

Patrick Trahan, a spokesperson for the Chalmette refinery, confirmed late
Tuesday afternoon that the incident occurred about 6 a.m. Sunday.

"We experienced a leak in the crude unit and it resulted in a spray that was
picked up by dense fog in the area and that fog carried the oil over to a
portion of our community near the facility," Trahan said. "We apologize for
any inconvenience this could cause and we have a group that is processing
claims and meeting with individuals."

Trahan added "the level of crude oil exposure we are talking about, would
not be expected to cause any harm."

He said the refinery has begun the cleanup process and is "working with
vendors in the Chalmette area to assist in that effort."

Stewart's neighbor, Chrystina Kidd, also said her vehicle was splattered.

"Oh my God! I thought it was my work car garage!" said Kidd, after she was
told of the release. She said the garage at her work is under construction
so she thought that might have caused the splatter.

"Washing the car didn't get it off!" Kidd said.

Stewart's wife, Sherry, said that while they are used to bad odors, "We have
never had anything like this."

Steve Stewart said he will often wake up at 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. and smell "that
terrible sulphur odor."

"But what can we do?" Stewart questioned. "We have the option of moving,
but, you know, this is home."

Parish President Dave Peralta said the ExxonMobile Chalmette Refinery has
contacted him and "at least 20 people have called us up wondering what
happened and what they should do."

Councilman Richie Lewis, who represents the district that includes refinery,
said that in addition to his own car, his patio, furniture, pool, lawnmower,
roof, and several other material possession were covered.

"Does it destroy my A.C.? What effect does it really have?," Lewis asked.

He said the oil cloud may have traveled quite far down the parish, as he's
heard from residents a mile east of the refinery.