[StBernard] Reforming The Criminal Justice System

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 17 14:05:19 EST 2013

Dear Friend,

Today, we unveiled several proposals to reform the state's juvenile justice
and criminal justice systems. We are going to strengthen programs to help
at-risk youth on the front-end so they don't end up trapped in a life of
incarceration.

We are also proposing to move to a more cost-effective alternative to
incarceration for non-violent drug offenders. Studies have shown that
substance abuse treatment for non-violent drug offenders gets better results
than simply locking people up. These reforms will lead to less offenders
recommitting a crime, which will cost us less as a state.

This type of treatment also makes our communities safer. Indeed, these
reforms mean we can free up resources and focus on locking up violent
criminals.

We also recently made an economic development announcement. Genesis Energy
is making a $125 million investment to expand its footprint in the Baton
Rouge area. The project will create 50 new direct jobs, paying an average
salary of $80,000 a year, and it will also result in about 220 new indirect
jobs in the region.

This announcement continues a recent string of great economic news showing
that Louisiana is outperforming the southern and the national economies, and
quickly becoming the best place in the world for businesses to invest and
create job opportunities.

Sincerely,

Bobby