[StBernard] Chalmette High School welcomed NFL special guest: Class Act

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 17 14:20:26 EST 2013

Chalmette High School welcomed NFL special guest: Class Act
By Barry Lemoine
on February 14, 2013 at 7:42 AM, updated February 14, 2013 at 7:51 AM Print

There were thousands of celebrities and fans in the New Orleans area for
Superbowl XLVII, but Chalmette High School also had a high-profile guest on
its campus recently when Jeffrey Pash, the Executive Vice President of Labor
and General Counsel of the National Football League, visited.

After Roger Goodell, Pash may be the most influential executive in the NFL,
leading labor negotiations with the players union and negotiating contracts
with TV networks and corporate sponsors. Bloomburg Business Week lists Posh
as one of most influential people in all of sports.

Pash took time out of his incredibly busy SuperBowl schedule to serve as a
motivational speaker with the CHS Leadership Council, a group of about
seventy high school students.

Pash's 60-minute speech focused on his unlikely ascent from a Washington
D.C. lawfirm to the upper echelon of the NFL. His spirited, sincere and at
times, humorous presentation encouraged students to take advantage of
opportunities, even the small ones.

Doris Voitier, Superintendent of St. Bernard Public Schools, met Pash after
Hurricane Katrina, when his son's New York School St. Bernard adopted the
parish. Voitier said he's been a friend of the parish ever since.

"As extremely busy as he is, Mr. Pash has always been kind and generous to
us," Voiter said.

"Whether it's assisting in fundraising efforts or donating game tickets for
our employees, Mr. Pash has always been wonderful and gracious."

Voiter said she was thrilled but not surprised when Posh agreed to vist the
students.

"He really impressed the students and shared with them the number of
opportunities available in the sports arena. In the midst of all the
activities going on, he came and spoke to our students and did an absolute
wonderful job. I am really grateful to him and wanted to give him the
recognition that he deserves.

Charmers win again

And speaking of recognition, the Chalmette High School Charmers continue to
make their mark on the big stage. The taem won first place in high kick,
third in jazz, pom pon, and prop/novelty at the Louisiana State competition.

The team's Officer Dance placed fifth. Two soloists placed in the top two of
about 27 solos. Alexis Schallenberg won first and Erica Lightell placed
second. Baylee McInerney and Alexis Schallenberg were also state winners in
the duet competition.

Jill Mitchell, the Charmer sponsor and coach, said she was proud of the
effort.

"At the Louisiana State Competition, the team really performed! I couldn't
have asked for a better performance for any of the dance categories," she
said.

The group is gearing up for a national competition in Los Angeles in the
spring where it will compete in a new category, military.

"This is a style of dance that focuses more on precision and formations. It
is definitely our style of dance, " Mitchell said.

The Charmers west coast trip will have them competing against some of the
best teams across the nation. Mitchell said she is a bit concerned about the
logistics of the trip, but is certain about one thing.

"I expect to see our girls compete with some of the best and enjoy a great
bonding experience as a team. "

Mitchell respects the effort and commitment of each dancer.

"The most gratifying experience through competition for me is knowing that
the team is proud of themselves for a job well done! I remind them that it
is not the size of the trophy that we bring home - it is what I think of
them as a team and what they think of me as a coach. I would not trade the
time that I spend with them. "