[StBernard] Ballet classes return to St. Bernard at Chalmette High's Cultural Arts Center

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 1 08:18:38 EST 2013

Ballet classes return to St. Bernard at Chalmette High's Cultural Arts
Center
By Alison Schroeder
on February 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM, updated February 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Print

Ballet is back in St. Bernard, courtesy of a partnership between the New
Orleans Ballet Association, St. Bernard Parish School Board and Chalmette
Refining LLC. The groups have worked together to bring tuition-free classes
to young dancers age 6-18 for the past 17 years.

The spring program began last month and offers classes two nights per week
at the Chalmette High School Cultural Arts facility to registered dancers.

Site monitor Christy Cusimano said registration was open to all St. Bernard
Parish residents who met the age requirements, and was completed on a first
come, first served basis.

"We have about 70 kids registered for the program at this time," Cusimano
said. "The students are grouped by age, and enrollment has really taken off
this semester."

Cusimano's daughter, Amelia, is one of the students who dances with the
program. Amelia, who is in second grade at Arabi Elementary School, said she
really enjoys the program because she has learned "a bunch of new things"
and also "because it's free."

The no-cost option is a critical element to many of the families who have
chosen to participate.

Melanie Ford of Meraux said her daughter, Sarah, is in her first year of
ballet with the program, and Sarah is enjoying it. Ford said she was drawn
in for a number of reasons, including the tuition-free aspect.

"I have six children, so given that there is no cost for this program, it
was an easy decision for us," Ford said. "Sarah loves to dance and after
taking classes for two years at another studio, her teacher moved, so we
decided to give this a try."

Leading a primary ballet class of 29 6-8 year old aspiring ballerinas is
Christine Barona, who has been with NOBA for one year.

"Last year, we barely had 10 students in a class," Barona said. "The numbers
have really taken off, which speaks well of the program."

Barona said she focuses her time and teaching on the discipline of ballet,
as well as technique and creative movement as the girls grow.

"For a lot of these girls, this is their first experience with ballet as an
extra-curricular setting," Barona said. "We focus on basic coordinated
movement, the discipline of having a schedule and relationships and respect
to peers. We want the girls to have fun in dance, but it is also important
that they learn the rules and techniques of ballet."

Barona said the ballet curriculum shifts as the girls grow older, to meet
their needs as dancers.

"We focus on creative movement more for the older groups," Barona said.
"It's important for them to hone that skill as choreography builds from
there."

Many of the parents agree that this program has offered an alternative to
traditional dancing schools that seem to be veering away from fundamental
ballet.

Angele Chaplain has two daughters, Emily, 7, and Taylor, 9, who are enrolled
in the ballet program and also attend dancing classes at a local studio.

"Ballet is the most important thing for them to learn in dance," Chaplain
said. "To have a program like this with no cost to us that offers a
traditional and disciplined ballet curriculum is wonderful."

Cusimano said the program also provides costumes for students for their
performances. Participants are only required to purchase leotards, ballet
shoes and tights.

Dancers in the program will take the stage at the annual Art in April
Festival as well as at a spring concert to take place on stage at the
Cultural Arts facility.