[StBernard] ICYMI: "I Need The Voucher System"

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 6 22:52:07 EST 2013

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:

"I Need The Voucher System"

Louisiana schools chief promises voucher program will go on
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c0119%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=unuK0uOwSlJLvTU%2bV%2b4KdA&sysid=1>
The Daily Advertiser
Amanda McElfresh
March 6, 2013

Louisiana Education Superintendent John White vowed that state officials
will find a way to fund a voucher program next year, regardless of how the
state Supreme Court rules on the matter later this month.

.
"If they don't rule in our favor, we are going to fund this program through
a different piece of money," White told parents.

Nicole Bob said she will do whatever she can to support the program.Bob said
her son was failing in public school last year, but is making passing grades
this year because of more individualized attention, smaller class sizes and
more opportunities for tutoring and remediation when he is struggling with
subjects.

"I think it's because of the smaller environment they are in," Bob said. "I
saw an 'A' on my child's report card, and I cried. He just gets so much more
help here. They have really given him the opportunity to grow."

.Cheryl McDaniel, said her 16-year-old son was a gifted student at a public
school, but she felt he was "falling through the cracks".Through the voucher
program, she sent him to John Paul the Great Academy in Lafayette this year,
where she said he is tackling more challenging assignments and has spoken
highly of a less stressful environment.

"I need the voucher system," McDaniel said. "The (public school) teachers
are good, but the environment is not good. I need to do what's best for
him."

State Sen. Elbert Guillory. said he doesn't understand why there is
controversy surrounding the program, but he is prepared to fight for it
during the upcoming legislative session.

"We will find the money in the budget to continue to fund the program,"
Guillory said. "This program will not die. Education choice will not die in
Louisiana."

Click here to read the full story
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c0110%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=PcZ6GHNBEnp0e9kUxp2lsQ&sysid=1>

###