[StBernard] Nunez Community College makes National News

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 24 08:45:52 EDT 2013

Nunez Community College makes National News

Two Nunez programs are generating buzz in the national news! G.I. JOBS
magazine, "the premier publication [that provides] education, transition
assistance, and job opportunities for military transitioners", featured the
Process Technology (PTEC) track of our Industrial Technology program in the
article, "Full STEM Ahead." Nunez student and Marine Corps veteran, James
Spell, and PTEC Program Manager, Keith Tolleson, were both interviewed for
the piece which examines how Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
(STEM)-based education programs provide opportunities for veterans to
"quickly transition into civilian careers."

Program Manager Tolleson, who is a U.S. Coast Guard veteran, feels
STEM-based jobs are a good fit for returning veterans: '"The military guys
that we've seen are just about at 100-percent successful," he says. "They
come in with hands-on skills. They come in with the political correctness;
they know the chain of command. Industry follows all of these rules. That
gives them an advantage coming into our industry."'

BizConnect Centers for Entrepreneurship at Houston Community
College (HCC) in Houston, Texas, featured the upcoming Entrepreneurship
(ENT) program. The ENT program is one of two, new business programs funded
by the over $2.7 million U.S. Department of Labor's Trade Adjustment
Assistance Community College and Career Training (TAACCCT) initiative, to be
offered this Fall.

HCC will serve as Nunez's college mentor for best practices in
entrepreneurship. Nunez Center for Entrepreneurship Director Christian
Lagarde and Workforce Director Ernest Frazier visited HCC earlier this year.

http://www.hccbizconnect.org/2013/04/19/nunez-community-college-visits-hcc/?
utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nunez-community-college-visits-hc

http://www.gijobs.com/full-stem-ahead.aspx