[StBernard] St. Bernard firefighter gets his dream job - and the girl: Chalmette Matters

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 31 08:49:24 EDT 2013

St. Bernard firefighter gets his dream job - and the girl: Chalmette Matters

Print By Becca Chapman
on May 30, 2013 at 7:33 AM, updated May 30, 2013 at 7:34 AM

St. Bernard is made up of people with strong backs and even stronger hearts
and spirits. This is the story of how a young man's determination, coupled
with the support of his fiance', Amanda Rhodes, earned him the job of his
dreams.

Shane Farragut, 24, grew up watching his father come home every day with
stories from the fire house. It was only a matter of time before his passion
led him down the same path. "I saw how much he loved doing the job and
helping people. He inspired me to follow in his foot steps and be a
firefighter," he said.

However, times have changed. Farragut's road to success would prove to be
bumpier than he expected.

Making sure he was prepared in every way, he obtained an associate's degree
in fire science from Delgado Community College. While working on his degree.
Farragut took on the not so easy task of applying for the fire department.
He took the Civil Service test seven times in locations such as Kenner,
Baton Rogue, and St. Rose just to get his score up.

"The higher the score the better the chances you can get in," said Farragut.
"I wanted them to know how much I wanted this job. I kept coming back with
my score and turning it in."

Finally, after four years of hard work, the interview day came with the St.
Bernard Fire Department, but it was the same day as his Delgado graduation.
Needless to say, Farragut skipped his graduation, which took the fire
department by surprise.

"I wanted them to know I really wanted this job," he said. "I can pick the
degree up later. "Six guys were applying and there was only four spots,
there was no way I was going to reschedule."

Impressed by this gesture and his work ethic, Farragut was hired. He
breathed a sigh of thankful relief, he said, but the challenges were just
beginning. After being accepted, he, along with other St. Bernard and New
Orleans firemen, had to attend rigorous mental and physical training at Fire
Emergency Training Institution at LSU.

The training was an intense 14-week program that was half classroom and half
hands on learning. Everyday started with physical training. From 6 to 8
a.m., the trainees conditioned themselves physically by running stairs and
miles.

"It was hard," he said. "Either you are going to push through it and be
physically and mentally trained to do it or else you are not going to make
it through. What kept me going was knowing how long and how hard I have
worked for this."

Farragut said he is focused and a career-driven individual, but he does not
let his ambition get in the way of valuing what's important in his life, his
future with fiance', Amanda Rhodes.

Rhodes, a third teacher at Lacoste Elementary, and Farragut have been
together for six years. Before getting engaged, they both wanted Farragut to
have a career first. On the day of his graduation from FETI, he planned to
propose to Rhodes. "I figured, why not do two at once?"

After informing his classmates and superiors of his plan, Farragut was
chosen to be spokesperson for graduation.

After the speech, Farragut called Rhodes up on stage. "I said how this is
someone who is still with me through the five years of putting up with me
trying to get on [the department] and sticking through it all and waiting
till the end."

Rhodes came up to the stage and Farragut got down on one knee.

Rhodes said she was overwhelmed. Farragut said that proposing to her on his
graduation day was a way to honor her support and to celebrate what they
have both been working towards. "We've been waiting for this. She knows how
hard I have been working towards that goal. I wanted to make it special for
her."

Farragut currently works in 911 dispatch, waiting to be stationed. Before
being stationed, Farragut, along with the other recent St. Bernard FETI
graduates Adam Licciardi and Steve Dysart, will go through bomb training in
Arizona, refinery fire training in Texas, and hazardous material training in
Zachary, Louisiana.

Looking back at how he achieved his success, Farragut said he knows his
perseverance got him through. "I woke up every morning knowing I had to push
through it," he said.

Becca Chapman writes about people and events in Chalmette. She can be
reached at 504-481-6516 or through email at chalmettematters at gmail.com.