[StBernard] St. Bernard Sportsman's League will hold family picnic June 8: Club Salute

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 31 08:53:17 EDT 2013

St. Bernard Sportsman's League will hold family picnic June 8: Club Salute
Print By Earl Hodges
on May 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM, updated May 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM

More than four decades ago, while still in elementary school, Joey Englert
would tag along with his father, John Englert, to meetings of the St.
Bernard Sportsman's League. Englert, now 53, joined the league in 1983 and
serves as president.

Englert, along with other members and former members of the St. Bernard
Sportsman's League, will gather June 8 at noon in Torres Park in Chalmette
for a family picnic to celebrate the league's 50th anniversary.

"The St. Bernard Sportsman's League has been such an important part of so
many people's lives as well as all of St. Bernard Parish," Englert said.
"I've enjoyed getting to know so many people who share the same interest in
the outdoors. And at the same time I feel like we are doing things to
protect the environment for our children and future generations."

The St. Bernard Sportsman's League was instrumental in preventing the over
fishing of red fish. The league also fought for the closing the the
Mississippi River Gulf Outlet, and the league continues to support coastal
restoration.

Other accomplishments of the league include awarding an annual college
scholarship to a local student and holding annual fishing rodeos for both
adults and children. The St. Bernard Sportsman's League has also donated
equipment to Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries agents.

Saturday's picnic will be a family picnic reminiscent of the league's
picnics of the past, Englert said. Those events included pirogue races, sack
races, horse shoe competition, a casting contest as well as other events.

"This (anniversary celebration) will be an opportunity for members and
former members and their families to share memories, spend time with old
friends and meet new ones," Englert said.

The St. Bernard Sportsman's League has 90 members. Meetings are held every
other month at Lehrmann's, 135 West St. Bernard Highway, Chalmette.

For information about the anniversary picnic or the league contact Englert
at 504.277.6683.

VFW observes Memorial Day

Members of the Chalmette Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3706 and Ladies
Auxiliary participated in the annual Memorial program May 26 at St. Bernard
Memorial Gardens in Chalmette. Participating were Carol Mire, from left,
Jessie Hart, Royleene Mones, Joseph Gritter, Jan Mire, Jessica Mire and
Sandra Reuther.

Gritter, Jan Mire, Jessica Mire and Sandra Reuther.

Earl Hodges writes about clubs in St. Bernard Parish. He can be contacted at
earlhodges at msn.com or 504.887.4731.