[StBernard] Mississippi River Gulf Outlet Misgivings

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 2 08:56:23 EDT 2013

Mississippi River Gulf Outlet Misgivings
Learning from "Mr. Go"

GUEST EDITORIAL WRITTEN BY ROBERT A. THOMAS, DIRECTOR OF LOYOLA UNIVERSITY'S
CENTER FOR ENVIRONMENTAL COMMUNICATION, AND KEVIN MCCAFFREY, OWNER OF
E/PRIME MEDIA.

"The MR. GO took two years to plan, two years to close, and 50 years to
debate!" - Junior Rodriguez, former St. Bernard Parish President

MR GO? Mr. Go? In spite of the rhetoric following hurricanes Katrina and
Rita, the average citizen still has only a vague notion of the Mississippi
River Gulf Outlet - why it exists, its economic significance to the Port of
New Orleans, its impact on the ecosystem, why it makes our region vulnerable
and how it affects the unique culture of St. Bernard Parish.

It has always been seen by sportsmen as a pariah. In the 1950s, they
recognized that it might change their fishing and hunting habits.
The MRGO was sized for post-World War II Victory Ships. No one knew (or
shared) that containerized shipping was looming. Who knew the ships' wakes,
coupled with subsidence and debilitating increased salinity, would widen the
MRGO from its original 650 feet to over 2,000 feet? Who knew the 40-mile
wide zone of storm surge absorbing salt marsh, so productive for our
fisheries, would thin and weaken?

In the absence of disaster, people tend to stay their normal course.

We seem to have several dominant, yet independent, approaches to our lives.
If we're in a profit mode, we tend to protect the status quo and accept the
least interruption of our modus operandi - don't tinker with my good thing.
If we're in a political mode, we don't think beyond the election cycle, and
our myopia enables policy makers their own myopia: to ignore or dissemble
hard facts proven by science again and again. And what about forward
thinkers? They may be people with their backs against the wall - with
options precipitously narrowing - or maybe they're the rare, special group
that judges risk in lives against risk in dollars.

It is worthwhile to reflect on the evolution of coastal science. Sherwood
Gagliano, the scientist who first revealed our delta's geomorphology,
measuring and predicting its rate of loss, has observed that before the
1970s, most coastal science focused on the exploitation of natural
resources. That continues today, but coastal ecology and restorative
sciences now concern themselves in dealing with the waning coastal ecosystem
and the post-Macondo blowout response of coastal organisms.

Day-by-day it becomes more apparent that we live in a region where business
and political leaders publicly minimize the value of scientific knowledge.
At times, the ignored scientific knowledge could arguably have saved
people's lives.

Our documentary, MRGOing, Going, Gone (working title), will premier this
fall on WYES-TV, Ch. 12. Begun 10 years ago, our intent was to alert the
public - again - about the potential consequences posed to Greater New
Orleans by the MRGO. Then, catastrophically, Katrina happened, and we no
longer have to foretell that story. The documentary will walk the viewer
through pre- and post-Katrina concerns and attitudes of St. Bernard
activists and politicians, the Port of New Orleans and its clients, the U.S.
Army Corps of Engineers and a bevy of concerned citizens. We attempt to show
how the human error argument could continue to exist in spite of a plethora
of warnings, while Mother Nature clearly, predictably, suffered.

Armed with the testimony of activists and engineers, some involved for many
decades, what's the potential application for lessons learned about the MRGO
as suggested in the documentary?

What is done is done, the MRGO is closed to navigation and the Port of New
Orleans currently enjoys record years. We must arm ourselves with the
lessons of history to address other chronic challenges along our coast. How
do we resolve issues associated with: the Houma Navigation Canal or the
Barataria Waterway; reconnecting Bayou LaFourche with the Mississippi River;
diversions versus dredging along the river; rerouting the shipping mouth of
the river, Morganza to the Gulf levees; and possibly the most difficult of
all, connected to all of those challenges, climate change and sea-level rise
- topics summarily dismissed by many of our elected leaders.

Have we learned?

This article appears in the July 2013 issue of New Orleans Magazine