[StBernard] In Case You Missed It - Botching Immigration Again

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 10 08:10:09 EDT 2013

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
Botching Immigration Again

Botching Immigration Again; It's Time To Get Something Done Gov. Bobby
Jindal National Review Online July 9, 2013
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2895%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=Gmp%2brC89C%2f3to9S4cT%2f8rw&sysid=1>
Read The Column Here:
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2896%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=1XPmzjXm6lTgmia7%2fkkNeQ&sysid=1>

Excerpts:

"As the son of immigrants to this country, and as a student of American
history, I'm an unapologetic advocate for immigration. I believe immigration
is crucial for the health and growth of our nation. That's why it's so
troublesome to see Washington in the process of botching immigration reform
for the umpteenth time.

.

I am for immigration solutions now. But that's not what Washington's current
approach seeks. The problem begins with bad motives. Politically craven
electoral concerns and the interests of big businesses and unions should not
drive legislation. Washington as usual is focused on what's good for
political parties, instead of focusing on what's right for America.

That's how you end up with another thousand-page bill full of pork,
regulations, and new powers for bureaucrats to manage the economy. This
isn't a solution any more than the last thousand-plus-page bill that
President Obama forced on the nation was. Obamacare is already collapsing
under its own weight, with delays and broken promises - yet the Gang of 8 is
employing the same approach on immigration.

.

If and when the folks in Washington want to successfully reform our
immigration system, they will have to accept the simple fact that it needs
to be done in stages. An all-or-nothing approach will likely yield what it
usually yields - nothing. It just takes three simple steps.

.

Step 1: Secure the border. Do this first. It's time to get it done. We
cannot trust bureaucrats or agencies to determine when the border is
secured, so we should instead adopt a goal that can't be manipulated - such
as complete implementation of fencing, technology, and other security
methods - and only then should we decide whether that approach has worked or
not. We should consider the border secure only when the properly elected
representatives of the people agree it is secured. Border-state governors
and the U.S. Congress must be the ones who verify that our borders are
finally secured.

.

Step 2: Once the border is secure, and not before, we should provide an
opportunity for those who came here illegally seeking to work for a better
life to gain legal status rather quickly, if and only if they are willing to
do all that is required.

.

Step 3: Increase legal immigration, by a lot. Letting folks into our country
who want to work, get an education, and improve their lives is good for them
and good for us. We should increase legal immigration not only for unskilled
laborers, but also for skilled workers from all over the world. We need to
stop educating the world's best and brightest engineers and scientists and
then upon graduation kick them out of the country so they can compete with
us and create growth and wealth in other countries.

The path to real reform is just not that complicated.

.

I believe that virtually all Americans will gladly embrace and deal
compassionately with those currently here illegally . . . once they are
assured that our borders are secure.

."

Read The Column Here:
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2897%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=4%2f6TyJp6fNO9AV4Df1l%2fNw&sysid=1>