[StBernard] Jindal Weekly Update

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Aug 31 10:59:59 EDT 2013

Jindal Weekly Update

Governor Jindal blasted President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder
this week for trying to use legal tactics to block Louisiana children from
having an equal opportunity to get a great education. The Governor appeared
on "The O'Reilly Factor," "Your World with Neil Cavuto," and "NBC's Meet the
Press," highlighting education reforms in Louisiana that are working to give
every child - no matter race or income level - an opportunity to get a great
education. Governor Jindal also continued his 64 parish tour by announcing
yet another major economic development win for the state.

Here Is A Quick Recap Of The News About The Governor's Week:

Governor Jindal Finished His Week
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2141%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=6wVFb4gkyUgLnUrVRoBtbA&sysid=1> By Blasting The Obama
Administration And The Department Of Justice For Government Overreach And
The Suit Against The Louisiana School Choice Program. Governor Bobby Jindal:
"It's amazing to me that almost exactly 50 years after Martin Luther King
gave his famous speech saying that he dreamt of a day where his children
would be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their
skin. Almost 50 years to the day, our own federal government would be
trying to force kids back into failing schools. How does this happen? This
happens when you get a federal government so big, so intrusive, so powerful,
this happen when you have a President who trusts the government more than he
trust the American people to live their lives."

Governor Jindal Appeared On NBC's Meet The Press
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2142%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=KVPlNx3fT45ypBvOqQ9QRg&sysid=1> And Discussed The Shameful
Department Of Justice Lawsuit Threatening Equal Opportunity Of Education In
Louisiana. Governor Jindal: "When it comes to the American Dream, I think
the next great civil rights fight is really about making sure that every
child has a great education. . . . In Louisiana, we're doing something about
it. 90 percent of our kids in New Orleans are in charter schools. In five
years, we doubled the percentage of kids doing reading and math on grade
level. We've now taken a program statewide so the dollars can follow the
child. Too many people are still standing in the way. The teacher unions are
fighting against that. Just on Friday, the Department of Justice said they
were going to go to court. . . . Now the Department of Justice is using the
same rules that were there to prevent discrimination against minority
children and is going after some of these parents and some of these kids and
saying, 'we don't know that we want to allow you to make this choice. We
want you to have to go a federal judge.' We need to provide a great
education for every child"

Governor Jindal Also Had A Chance On "Meet The Press"
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2143%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=Q7vuPluv%2fzaWw69Ym55nYw&sysid=1> To Tell His Personal Family
Story Of Achieving The American Dream. Governor Bobby Jindal: "You know,
it's amazing, my dad's here in the audience, one of nine kids, only one that
got past the fifth grade, came here with his pregnant wife. What is amazing
to me is that he had the confidence, didn't know anybody, went through the
yellow pages calling people, he had the confidence he could get a job. He
has an accent, not a southern accent, he has got an accent. What's amazing
to me, he has lived the American dream. I want my children to have those
same opportunities. This is the greatest country in the history of the
world."

Governor Jindal Spoke With Bill O'Reilly
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2144%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=Lt3f1GQcorPgiW%2bY4NWp6w&sysid=1> And Said There Was No
Explanation For The Department Of Justice's Actions Besides Incompetence Or
Ideology. Governor Jindal: "There is no explanation for why they would do
this. We've got 40,000 kids in charter schools in Louisiana and they have
not gone after that program, they are going after scholarship programs.
Whether it's incompetence or ideology, the bottom line is they are going to
hurt the kids we should be working so hard to serve and get a better
education. If really you believe in the American dream, we need to fight to
make sure that every child gets a great education."

Governor Jindal Said
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2255%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=lBYlqGWjzyxKLEYbObOuxg&sysid=1> It's Not Right For The DOJ To
Force Parents To Send Their Kids To Failing Schools. Governor Jindal: "You
can tell I am angry about this. It is just frustrating to me that the
Justice Department would try to stop. I want them to look in the faces of
those mothers and those children that are getting - 8,000 kids - escaping
failing schools to get a great education, to get a better education for
them. They need to look into the faces of those parents and try to explain
to them why in the world they want to kowtow to special interests and unions
to force them back into failing schools. I guarantee Eric Holder wouldn't
send his kids to failing schools. I guarantee you that the senior federal
officials wouldn't send their kids to failing schools. It is not right to
try to make these parents send their kids to those failing schools."

Governor Jindal Appeared On Neil Cavuto's Show
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2256%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=Y8sUPVUTBO0bp6VHgopnvw&sysid=1> And Said The Obama Administration
Is Playing Politics With Louisiana Parents And Children. Governor Jindal:
"These are moms wanting their sons and daughters to live the American dream,
and you've got the Obama Administration playing politics. To me, it's
ridiculous. You're taking the same rules designed to protect the most
vulnerable kids and now they are saying we are going to trap these kids in
failing schools. . . . No kid should be forced to go to those schools. Look,
you know Eric Holder is not sending his kids to those schools, you know the
President is not sending his kids to those schools. Let's give these
parents a real chance."

The National Review's
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2257%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=qYWVnZkT6KcrNRKlMqRUuw&sysid=1> John Fund Referred To The DOJ
Suit As "Bean Counting Madness." "The irony isn't merely rich. It's tragic.
As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s 'I Have a
Dream' speech this week, the Obama Justice Department is suing the state of
Louisiana to stop it from distributing school vouchers to kids seeking to
escape failing schools. . . . In King's 1963 speech, he told of his 'dream'
that his four children would 'one day live in a nation where they will not
be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.'
That dream remains noble, but it hasn't been advanced by a civil-rights
leadership that opposes school choice and often follows an 'I have a scheme'
method of activism. . . . It's also deplorable that King's dream has been
sullied by an administration that claims King's mantle but acts against the
interests of children so that they can be counted 'by the color of their
skin.'"

Sam Hanna Of The Ouachita Citizen
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2258%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=PayBneTAGhuRlH5FV4IAcg&sysid=1> Said The DOJ's Position Can Be
Best Summed Up As, "Desegregation Over Education." "While the nation is
embroiled in commemorating the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King's 'I
Have a Dream' speech, the U.S. Justice Department under the leadership of
President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder filed suit last week to
stop black children in Louisiana from obtaining a decent education. That's
an accurate and fair assessment of the Justice Department's foray into
federal court in New Orleans Friday to sue the state of Louisiana over
parents using taxpayer-backed vouchers to pull their children from
inadequate public schools and enroll them in private or parochial ones.
Specifically, the Justice Department argued the state violates decades-old
desegregation court orders whenever students use vouchers to leave schools
under desegregation orders to attend private and parochial schools."

Governor Jindal Announced
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2259%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=5Jg5sdo1JjhH5ssaOv%2bziA&sysid=1> Dow Chemical Will Invest Over
$1 Billion To Build Two New Plants That Will Create 71 New Jobs And Nearly
500 New Indirect Jobs. "Dow Chemical Co. announced Tuesday it will invest
$1.06 billion to build two new polyolefins plants and upgrade its ethylene
capacity at the company's 3,300-acre site in Plaquemine - a move that will
create 71 new jobs at the facility and an additional 470 indirect jobs. . .
. "Between the direct jobs, the contractor jobs and the third-party company
jobs supported by Dow here in Plaquemine, and the new jobs that are on the
way, Dow will provide 3,750 great jobs for Louisiana families," Gov. Bobby
Jindal said during a news conference at Dow's Plaquemine facility."

Governor Jindal Attended A Campaign Kickoff Rally
<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2250%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=83BcYWSxMeA2uhOua2ya7Q&sysid=1> For Governor Nikki Haley. "South
Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley boasted of her jobs record and for pushing back
against the Obama administration as she opened her re-election bid Monday at
a rally attended by three fellow Republican governors and hundreds of
others. Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Wisconsin
Gov. Scott Walker all blasted the federal government, saying South Carolina
needs Haley to continue the fight against the Democratic administration of
President Barack Obama."

<http://click.bsftransmit7.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=393%7c2251%7c9390%7c930
16&digest=B7LGjzSIxcYTInVfIFokjQ&sysid=1>