[StBernard] Where Ya' Rack?" Bike Rack Project Expands to St. Bernard Parish

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 5 10:07:29 EDT 2013

"Where Ya' Rack?" Bike Rack Project Expands to St. Bernard Parish

Bicycling advocacy program has partnered with local businesses and residents

to install bike racks across St. Bernard

"Where Ya' Rack?," a project of the Young Leadership Council (YLC), and St.
Bernard Parish President David E. Peralta celebrated the installation of new
bike racks at Sidney D. Torres Memorial Park, the first in St. Bernard
Parish through the Where Ya' Rack project. Funded through generous
sponsorships from the St. Bernard Community Foundation and the Law Offices
of Sidney D. Torres, III, the racks mark St. Bernard Parish Government's
latest efforts to improve bicycling in St. Bernard Parish.

"I'm thankful to all of the partners who helped make this project a
reality." "The bike racks will be a welcome addition to the park," said
Parish President David Peralta.

"We're excited to expand our project to a new community," said C. Garlan
White, Where Ya' Rack? co-project leader, "Parish officials and residents
have great partners in promoting our goal of providing secure racks for bike
parking."

Founded in 2009, Where Ya' Rack? provides convenient, secure bicycle parking
throughout the Greater New Orleans area. The mission of the project is to
encourage bicycling as an environmentally friendly and healthy option for
commuting, short trips, and errands.

The project's volunteer leadership team seeks sponsorships for racks from
local businesses, property owners, and other groups. YLC works with the
sponsors and with parish officials to determine each rack's location. YLC
members then volunteer the time and labor required to install the racks.

To date, Where Ya' Rack? has installed over 220 racks in New Orleans, Gretna
and St. Bernard Parish. For a complete list of Where Ya' Rack? bike rack
locations or to obtain more information on how to sponsor a rack, please
visit www.whereyarack.org <http://www.whereyarack.org> .