[StBernard] Shreveport Plant Installs Fence-line Monitors to Safeguard Workers and Local Community

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 7 08:19:20 EST 2013

Shreveport Plant Installs Fence-line Monitors to Safeguard Workers and Local Community

DALLAS – (Nov. 6, 2013) Calumet Shreveport Lubricant and Waxes, L.L.C., plant will expand a fence-line monitoring system to increase awareness of toxic air releases. The crude refinery and petroleum products facility will also pay a civil penalty of $326,000 to settle nine violations of the Clean Air Act’s (CAA) Risk Management Program uncovered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

>From Aug. 15-18, 2011, EPA conducted an unannounced inspection and discovered numerous violations related to past explosions and the facility’s emergency response program.

“This settlement helps make available useful information in the event of future releases,” said Ron Curry, EPA's Regional Administrator. “Our goal is to safeguard worker health and nearby communities by ensuring Calumet takes the necessary steps to improve safety and practices.”

Under the settlement, Calumet has agreed to install a fence-line monitoring system, Supplemental Environmental Project (SEP), with a value of at least $248,000. The system will include 32 additional sensors covering all sides of the perimeter of the facility and monitor for hydrogen sulfide, sulfur dioxide, and flammable gas lower explosive limit.

The Risk Management Program is designed to prevent chemical accidents and releases through proper preparedness, response and prevention. The program requires that facilities producing, processing and storing extremely hazardous substances have a duty to identify hazards associated with an accidental release, design and maintain a safe facility and minimize risks associated with accidental releases.

EPA's goals include focusing on cleaner air and healthier communities by improving compliance among industries with significant potential for accidental releases near communities.

Calumet will also continue to host quarterly community meetings with local citizens to discuss environmental concerns and the results of the fence-line monitoring.

The facility is required to pay the penalty within 30 days of filing the consent agreement.

More about activities in EPA Region 6: http://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/region6.html <http://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/region6.html>

# # #