[StBernard] Nunez Culinary Program Student Wins John Besh Foundation Scholarship

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 20 09:07:33 EST 2013

Nunez Culinary Grad & Awardee of John Besh & Bride Mayor Chefs Move!
Scholarship Thriving in New York

Like most of us with a passion for the kitchen, Lashandra
Robinson attributes her love for cooking to the days when she was her mom's
little kitchen helper who stirred the pot when they were preparing beans and
rice. Robinson worked her way from her kitchen at home to local restaurants
including the Jackson Brewery Bistro Bar to the kitchens of The
International Culinary Center (formerly The French Culinary Institute) in
New York, where she is currently a student on a Chefs Move!
<http://www.chefsmove.org/> The John Besh & Bride Mayor scholarship, an
initiative of The John Besh Foundation.

Having worked at a popular, fast-food chain since 2006, the Nunez Culinary
Program student and 23 year-old, single mom of four and five year-old girls
was no stranger to the time and energy demands of food service work, but was
determined to continue her education. "Education was the way I could
continue to work in an industry I enjoyed and improve my earning power so I
could make myself and the lives of my daughters better," said Robinson.

Robinson left for New York in July on the scholarship which has the mission
to diversify kitchen leadership by providing minority applicants the
opportunity to train up and become leaders in restaurant kitchens and in
their communities.

The John Besh & Bride Mayor Scholarship is followed by a two-month
internship with the Besh Restaurant Group. After the internship, Chefs Move!
graduates stay and work in New Orleans for at least two years so that their
advanced culinary skills benefit the local area. "We hope that our graduates
will want to continue working in NOLA for at least five years after the
program so that they may become leaders in the kitchen and leaders in the
community," said Emery Whalen, executive director of The John Besh
Foundation.

In addition to full tuition to the 9-month culinary program at The
International Culinary Center, Lashandra Robinson received the following:

. Chef Uniforms and kitchen Equipment

. Accommodation for the 9 months of the program in NYC

. Air travel to and from New York

. $250 grocery card

. $100 subway card

. Digital camera and lessons

. Laptop computer and training

. Media training (including social media)

. Job placement assistance while in New York

. Paid 8-week internship within the Besh Restaurant Group after
completion of NYC program

. Chef Mentor from the Besh Restaurant Group