[StBernard] Jindal Weekly Update

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 23 22:21:14 EST 2013

Jindal Weekly Update

Governor Jindal's week was marked by the continued fight against the Obama
Administration's lawsuit against equal opportunity in education in
Louisiana.  The Governor also penned an op-ed arguing the Republican Party
needs to win the war of ideas in 2014 before it can be ready to win the
White House in 2016.

Here Is A Quick Recap Of The News About The Governor's Week:

In An Op-Ed For Politico, Governor Jindal Said The Republican Party Needs To
Win The War Of Ideas And The Elections In 2014 Before It Can Win The White
House In 2016. The voters know that we oppose Obama. What they don't really
know is what we would do if they gave us the car keys. How would we reform
and improve education? What is our plan for health care, once we repeal
Obamacare? How will we make America energy independent? What exactly will we
do to stop our entitlement programs from going bankrupt? And how will we get
America's economy growing again? The voters demand answers to these
questions. And they deserve them. . . . Answering the question of what
should be done is more important than the question of who our nominee will
be. We need to focus on substance more than personality. Or, as Margaret
Thatcher said, you have to win the argument before you can win the election.

The Department of Justice Abandoned Its Attempt To Permanently Halt
Louisiana's School Choice Program, But Governor Jindal Said The Obama
Administration Has A Back-Up Plan To Regulate The Program To Death.  The
Justice Department has changed its strategy against the Louisiana
Scholarship program, abandoning its request for a permanent injunction in
favor of a "process of review," a move Gov. Bobby Jindal (R.) warns could
regulate the program out of existence.
Instead, the Obama administration
wants the state to undergo a lengthy review process and provide information
on every voucher application prior to awarding them.
The Department of
Justice's new position is that it wants bureaucrats in Washington to have
the authority to decide where Louisiana children get an education," Jindal
said. "The obvious purpose of this gag order would be to prevent parents
from learning that the Department of Justice might try to take their child's
scholarship away if it decides that the child is the wrong race," he said.

Governor Jindal Again Called On President Obama And Attorney General Holder
To Visit Louisiana Scholarship Students To Sit Down With The Parents And
Children Their Suit Is Harming.   Now the Justice Department is going after
Louisiana, first seeking a permanent injunction against the state
scholarship program, which would put the fate of future voucher recipients
in the hands of federal judges. Roughly 6,750 low-income students received a
voucher this school year to escape failing schools. "It's political. It's
unfortunate. It's wrong," said Ann Duplessis, the president of the Louisiana
Federation for Children (LFC). A lifelong Democrat, Duplessis opposed school
choice for years until she began to question who the unions were really
fighting for.  . . . When he visited New Orleans a little over a week ago,
Obama did not stop to tour a scholarship school, despite requests from Gov.
Jindal. "I talked to him briefly during his visit," Jindal said. "We've
invited him several times." . . . "If the president doesn't have time to
visit schools, at least send the attorney general before you file a
lawsuit," Jindal said. "Come see for yourself the lives you're disrupting,
the people you're harming."

Louisiana's Unemployment Rate Dropped And The State Gained Jobs In October.
 Louisiana's unemployment rate dropped slightly to 6.5 percent in October,
according to figures released Friday by the federal Bureau of Labor
Statistics. The jobless rate showed improvement from August (7 percent) and
September (6.8 percent)
Louisiana figures showed 8,600 more people had jobs
in October than September. The state also showed a 30,800 gain over October
2012.

Governor Jindal Attended A Republican Governors Association Meeting And
Outlined How Conservative Principles Are Working Across State Capitals
Despite The Dysfunction In Washington D.C. Republican governors outlining
their messaging for elections in 36 U.S. states next year contrasted their
records with what they call dysfunction in Washington, even as that applies
to their party in Congress. "The one place where you can go in this country
and see conservative principles being applied is across state capitals,"
Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, the outgoing chairman of the Republican
Governors Association, said during a press conference today at the group's
annual meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Governor Jindal Stated That The 2014 Elections Are An Opportunity For The
Republican Party To Define The Policies It Will Fight For. Republicans will
be defending 22 of the 36 governor's seats up for re-election next year and
many GOP leaders view 2014 as an opportunity to bolster the party's image.
"Too often in D.C. we're defined as the 'party of no.' Too often we're
defined by what we're against," said Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, the
governors association's outgoing chairman. "We need to do a better job as a
party of defining what we're for."

Economists Released A Survey Stating The Baton Rouge Area Would Create
16,400 New Jobs Through 2015 Because Of The State's Incredible Economic
Growth. A survey conducted by the Baton Rouge Area Chamber of businesses
across the capital region projects that 16,400 jobs will be created locally
through 2015. The BRAC Economic Outlook, released Thursday, forecasts 8,700
jobs in 2014 and 7,700 during 2015. "Our region is experiencing incredible
growth. Employment in the Baton Rouge area is at an all-time high and our
survey indicates that employers plan to increase their rate of hiring in
2014," said Adam Knapp, BRAC president and CEO. "2013 has been a record year
for economic development activity, and our economic forecast shows the
effects of this boom spreading across the economy."

Governor Jindal Announced PaperWorks Industries Would Be Opening A New Plant
In Central Louisiana. One of Alexandria's most prominent "big boxes" is no
longer empty. The former site of McKesson APS and Kmart off South MacArthur
Drive will be the new home of a PaperWorks Industries Inc. plant. The plant
will assemble cartons to package dry laundry detergent manufactured at
Procter & Gamble's plant in Pineville. It is expected to employ 43 people
and be fully operational by the end of the first quarter next year.
"PaperWorks could have gone anywhere," said Gov. Bobby Jindal. "They chose
to come here. That's going to help put Central Louisiana on the map in terms
of other companies coming here."