[StBernard] Peralta Calls for Passage of Landrieu's Flood Insurance Legislation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 16 18:55:16 EST 2014

Peralta Calls for Passage of Landrieu's Flood Insurance Legislation

St. Bernard Parish President Seeks Delay in Flood Insurance Rates

St. Bernard Parish President David Peralta issued a statement calling for
the US Senate to consider and adopt the "Homeowner Flood Insurance
Affordability Act", which is sponsored by Louisiana US Senator Mary Landrieu
and co-sponsored by Louisiana US Senator David Vitter. "I would like to
commend both of our US Senators for advancing legislation that if passed
would in effect delay spikes in homeowners' flood insurance for four years,"
said Peralta.

"Severe increases in the cost flood insurance would further burden the
community's recovery and dissuade people from wanting to invest in St.
Bernard Parish. I hope that Senators Landrieu and Vitter's colleagues on
both sides of the aisle will recognize the importance of this legislation to
those who purchase flood insurance in coastal communities and towns and
cities along rivers," said Peralta.

"This isn't just a St. Bernard Parish or south Louisiana issue. It's a
national matter affecting homeowners in Maine, Florida New Jersey and many
other states," said Peralta.

"Delaying the price jump will especially help people who bought homes after
the passage of the Biggert-Waters," said Peralta, referring to the flood
insurance reform legislation that was passed and signed into law in 2012
that removed the grandfather clause that made existing insured structures
immune from new regulations and flood zone remapping, as well as stripping
subsidies on flood insurance to make it more affordable.

The motion to bring Landrieu's bill up for debate is expected to be made on
Wednesday though it would require the unanimous consent of the US Senate
because of pending legislation.