[StBernard] Paralegal Program at Nunez College

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 23 22:46:40 EST 2014

Associate's degree in Paralegal Studies offers viability in today's
workforce

CHALMETTE, LA-An associate's degree in Paralegal Studies scores #2 on John
Loos' Yahoo! Education article, "Five Degrees That Are In Demand". Loos
cites a U.S. Department of Labor statistic which projects a 28-percent job
increase for paralegals between 2008 and 2018.

Statistics from the Louisiana Workforce Commission (LAWC) statistics show
that paralegals in Louisiana earn an average of $47,888, yearly. That number
can be higher according to Nunez's Chair of the Business Department and
Paralegal Program Manager, Theresa Barbier:

"Depending on the firm, Nunez alumni of the Paralegal Studies Program have
made upwards of $50,000, annually."

Jamie Wolinski from Denham Springs is pursuing an associate's in
Paralegal Studies at Nunez this spring 2014 semester, and is hopeful the
statistics will prove true: Wolinski has a bachelor's degree in Political
Science from the University of New Orleans but did not feel adequately
prepared for the workforce and so decided to attend Nunez.

"My plan is to get my associate's in Paralegal Studies, get in the workforce
and be a paralegal for a few years, then decide if I want to continue in
that career or go to law school," Wolinski said.

Career viability is a constant concern for Nunez and Barbier, who is also a
practicing attorney. To stay relevant and fresh, the College has introduced
new courses like Disaster Law and Hurricane Litigation that are very
relevant to Louisiana's unique needs. Paralegal Program Manager Barbier said
that "by exposing our students to diverse topics, they leave with
credentials that give them an edge, which helps them to immediately enter
the workforce, get better jobs, and helps their employers' firms."

Nunez's Paralegal students have enjoyed interning with many,
local firms and community partners, including The Pro Bono Project and the
Louisiana Defender's Office. Most recently, student Jennifer Bruskotter was
selected for a position with the Office of the Attorney General.