[StBernard] Nunez Hospitality students earn key industry-based certification

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Feb 9 13:36:47 EST 2014

Several Nunez students were awarded an industry-based certification (IBC)
from the prestigious American Hotel & Lodging's (AH&LA) Educational
Institute (EI) on Tuesday, February 4, 2014.

Hospitality, Restaurant, and Tourism (HRT) Program Manager, Calvin Desdunes,
presented the five, business students with the "Certified Guest Service
Professional" (CGSP) credential. The CGSP prepares holders for the entire
line of guest service interaction: from front office, revenue management,
food and beverage, and housekeeping to maintenance, security, human
resources, and sales. AH&LA calls its EI "the global leader in hospitality
training and hotel management certifications," offering training in hotel &
lodging best practices for "the highest standards of competency" as a
professional in the industry.

A December 2013 University of New Orleans (UNO) Metropolitan report cites,
"About 5.04 million visitors came to the New Orleans area in the first half
of 2013, marking a 2% increase over the 4.94 million visitors who came
during the same period in 2012. Spending estimates were $3.74 billion
including gambling."

Tabetha Schloegel, a Nunez student double-majoring in Business
Administration and Hospitality, Restaurant, and Tourism, wants to be a part
of that growing trend. Schloegel spent over seven years in the business and
hospitality workforce, but returned to school for the credentials that will
compliment her work experience.

"I chose my majors because of where we live and my previous experience. I
think that with these degrees and with the location, I have a better chance
of getting a job in the field I like-and moving past entry-level positions
faster because I have the experience plus these certifications."

Nunez's HRT Program Manager, Calvin Desdunes, agrees with his student.

"One great aspect of the hospitality industry is that many of the positions
offer viability for those with an high school equivalence and there is
on-the-job training. But, these stackable credentials really provide an
extra edge because they say, 'I'm coming to you ready and equipped as a
highly-trained professional,'" said Desdunes, who is currently Vice Chair of
the Hospitality Advisory Board at Warren Easton High School, and alum of
UNO's HRT and MBA programs. Desdunes started working in the hospitality
industry when he was only 14 years old, at what is now Ruth's Chris Steak
House. An EI "Certified Hospitality Educator," Desdunes has both taught at
local, community colleges and worked with many top, hotel chains.

The five students who received their CGSP certificates and pins were Maxwell
Austin, Kayla Davis, Guyrikka Gabriel, Tabetha Schloegel, and Judina
Tarleton. Their certification was built in to the HRT program's Intro to
Hospitality Management class, offered at Nunez in the Fall 2013 semester.