[StBernard] St. Bernard Sheriff's Office's new mobile command unit to lead upcoming parades, and deputies will post live updates of parade locations

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 11 08:16:22 EST 2014

St. Bernard Sheriff's Office's new mobile command unit to lead upcoming
parades, and deputies will post live updates of parade locations
Print NOLA Community By NOLA Community
on February 11, 2014 at 6:48 AM, updated February 11, 2014 at 6:49 AM

With parade season upcoming, the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office will
have two firsts: its new Mobile Emergency Operations Center will lead a
Carnival parade and the Irish, Italian, Islenos parade, while a deputy on
board will use the sheriff's Facebook page to post live updates of parade
locations.

"I look forward to showing our residents and others on the parade routes the
Mobile Emergency Operations Center, or Command Post, we acquired last fall
through a federal grant,'' Sheriff James Pohlmann said.

"Some of you may have seen it being driven through the parish for use during
a tropical storm last October or at the Jerry Rathburn 911 Center in
Chalmette. It suits our needs well as a command post and will become a
fixture in parish parades.

"The new center will be the lead unit in both the 9th anniversary parade of
the Knights of Nemesis, starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 22, and the
Irish, Italian, Islenos parade at noon on Sunday, April 6,'' Pohlmann said

The Operations Center will coordinate the running of the parades as well as
road closings as it moves along the route, he said.

And, as the Operations Center rolls along Judge Perez Drive in both parades,
inside the vehicle Capt. Angie Huff will post live updates on the parades'
location on the Sheriff's Facebook page. Capt. Bret Bowen will be driving
the Mobile Emergency Operations Center.

It's the first time such live updates for the location of the beginning of a
parade have been posted by the Sheriff's Office. Also look at the sheriff's
Facebook page for updates on the latest news involving law enforcement in
St. Bernard Parish.

"We hope people, especially children, find it to be fun and helpful to know
when a parade will approach their location,'' Sheriff Pohlmann said.

The Mobile Emergency Operations Center was acquired through a federal grant
and was delivered in September 2013.

Retired New Orleans Saint fan favorite Deuce McAllister and current Saint
player Will Smith have been named Celebrity Knights for the Knights of
Nemesis Carnival parade, organization President Billy Showalter said.

The Irish, Italian, Islenos parade annually features throws of vegetables
including cabbage, carrots and potatoes to the crowd, celebrating three
cultures of the parish.

The information in this article and picture were provided by the St. Bernard
Sheriff's Office Director of Public Information Steve Cannizaro.