[StBernard] Under new operator ferries will have hike in fares; possible extended hours

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 19 00:31:50 EST 2014

Under new operator ferries will have hike in fares; possible extended hours

wwltv.com

Posted on February 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Updated today at 5:21 PM

The New Orleans ferries are under new management just months after their
future was put into question. Veolia, the same group that administers the
RTA locally, agreed to terms with the state and took over the ferry
operation Monday.

The State of Louisiana came close to shutting down the ferries earlier this
year due to lack of funds.

The State Department of Transportation and Development has been running the
ferries on an abbreviated schedule during contract negotiations with Veolia.

"We have put in place the tools necessary and we have created an operational
structure that will preserve the operation of the ferries," Mayor Mitch
Landrieu said Tuesday.

With the change in management comes a change in the way the ferries will be
operated.

Pedestrians, who currently are riding the ferries for free, will soon have
to pay $2 each way. Drivers will also pay $2, with each rider paying another
$1.

Riders are also hoping that Veolia will bring back an 18-hour schedule.

"Fares will go into effect on Feb. 23," said Justin Augustine, the Vice
President of Veolia. "In terms of extended hours, we are working an
operation plan together with our operations crew to insure that we can
provide extended hours. We're not there yet."

Currently the ferry from Algiers to Canal Street stops running about 7 p.m.

"It's really, really important," said Dawn Taylor, on extending the hours.
"There are a lot of people on this side who don't even have cars. The only
way for them to get back and forth to work is the ferry."

Veolia said it will put extended hours of operation on the boats for Mardi
Gras. The schedule will be announced at a later date.