[StBernard] Family of female inmate found dead seeks answers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 4 10:50:41 EDT 2014

By Dawn Ostrom
Family of female inmate found dead seeks answers
Published 5:54 PM CDT Apr 02, 2014

Family seeks answers after female inmate death at St. Bernard Parish Prison

SHOW TRANSCRIPT
ST. BERNARD PARISH, La. -The family of a woman who was found dead in a St.
Bernard Parish Prison cell said they want answers on how the inmate died.

FEMALE INMATE, 19, FOUND DEAD IN ST. BERNARD PARISH...

A 19-year-old female inmate was found dead in the St. Bernard Parish Prison
on Tuesday, officials said.

MORE
Watch report

"I made it clear that if she went a day without her medicine, she would
die," said Deshawna Henry through tears Wednesday.

Her sister, Nimali, died yesterday in the St. Bernard Parish Jail. The
19-year-old was arrested March 21 and charged with unauthorized entry of an
inhabited dwelling, simple battery, and disturbing the peace.

Her sister says she was visiting her former boyfriend and their 4-month-old
infant when she was arrested. Her family says she did nothing wrong.
Sheriff James Pohlmann says she has no criminal history.

Both the sheriff and the family now want to know what happened once Henry
got to jail.

"I can tell you that I'm upset. These people are under my watch and my care
and I'm going to do everything I can to figure out why it happened," said
Pohlmann.

Her family says Nimali had TTP, a rare blood disease. They say they let the
jailers know she needed regular care and regular medication. They say they
could not afford the $25,000 bail to get her out.

The family says they hope to get answers about what went wrong.

"All I think about is talking to her, she said she didn't feel well, she
needed her medicine. I know they heard her say those things. They are
supposed to supervise that kind of stuff," said Deshawna Henry.

The Sheriff's Office says Henry's autopsy could take weeks and an internal
investigation at the jail could take months.

Read more:
http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new-orleans/family-of-female-inmate-foun
d-dead-seeks-answers/25292286#ixzz2xvgCMubL