[StBernard] ST. BERNARD PARISH RESIDENTS ARE URGED TO CONDUCT PRE-STORM CLEAN-UP OF THEIR YARDS

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 2 21:16:44 EDT 2014

ST. BERNARD PARISH RESIDENTS ARE URGED TO CONDUCT PRE-STORM CLEAN-UP OF
THEIR YARDS

Hurricane Season runs June 1st through November 30th

Being "ready" for Louisiana's annual hurricane season by our citizens
involves a lot of initiatives. In addition to preparing an all-encompassing
family emergency plan, our community members also need to address property
safety , which affects not only their own property, but that that of their
neighbors and of our community in general. Residents need to prepare their
yards NOW for the upcoming active hurricane months.

Prepare yards by trimming trees and bushes. Remove and properly dispose of
all unused and inoperable items such as damaged lawn furniture and broken
bikes and general debris.

WHY?

. Trees and broken limbs are the leading cause of knocking down or
pulling down power lines because of a storm's powerful winds

. Loose debris in the yard become deadly missiles to humans and will
fly into glass windows or rip apart screened-in porches and pool enclosures
during high winds

WHY CAN'T I WAIT TO DO ALL THIS UNTIL A STORM IS PROJECTED FOR OUR AREA?

. As a storm becomes imminent, your limited time and attention can be
put to better use preparing your house and your family. Be honest, wouldn't
your yard preparation become the last on your list of priorities, or not at
all?

. If everyone waits until a storm is on the way to prepare their
yard, it becomes a logistical nightmare of time, manpower and equipment to
pick up all debris throughout the entire parish while still maintaining
other necessary core services. It simply can't be done effectively.

For successful pick-ups, adhere to the following requirements:

. Cut tree limbs to no more than 4-5 foot in length and
stack them in a uniform direction.

. Don't mix yard junk and tree limbs in the same pile.

. Make sure that yard junk and tree limbs are placed well away from
mailboxes and from under power lines to allow collection equipment to safely
remove them.

. When possible, place smaller yard vegetation debris in trash
containers (not plastic garbage bags) for easier, cleaner pick-ups.

. Don't pile yard debris/trash in the roadways that would impede
traffic or interferes with storm water drainage.

NOW is the time to prepare your yard for high wind events!