[StBernard] Summer Reading at the St. Bernard Parish Library

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jun 3 09:57:17 EDT 2014

Summer Reading at the St. Bernard Parish Library

Get ready to have a blast at the St. Bernard Parish Library this summer as we experiment and explore, spark our imaginations, and celebrate science during the 2014 “Fizz, Boom, Read!” Summer Program.  Readers of all ages can register at the Chalmette Branch beginning Monday, June 2nd.

Each reader will receive an official summer reading bookmark, a timed-reading Circuit board sheet or an easy-to-complete activity sheet and a calendar of events.  The first 100 families registering will also receive a ‘Super Summer Reader’ yard sign.  In addition, pre-readers thru 5th graders signing up June 2nd through June 12th will receive a free movie pass to see Academy Award Nominee, Ernest and Celestine, compliments of Chalmette Movies. Movie passes may be redeemed only at the

2 p.m. show time at our local Chalmette Movies June 6th through June 12th.

Six weeks of fun activities are set with weekly story programs being held on Tuesdays at 1 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. and again on Wednesdays at 11:30 a.m.  Special guests make appearances at the library on Thursdays at 11:30 a.m. and a variety of artists will share their talents during the library’s Fridays with the Arts performances taking place on Fridays, of course, at 3 p.m.  The popular Fridays with the Arts series is funded by a grant from the Louisiana Division of the Arts, Office of Cultural Development, Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism in cooperation with the Louisiana State Arts Council as administered by the St. Tammany Commission on Cultural Affairs.  Summer festivities will end with a prize drawing at our grand finale on Friday, July 11th.

In addition to attending lots of fun programs, St. Bernard Parish Library readers will have the opportunity to win prizes by completing Circuit Board timed-reading sheets and activity sheets.  Pre-readers through 12th graders who finish by July 10th will be eligible to have their names entered into our grand finale prize drawing.  Younger readers will also receive a certificate of completion along with McDonald’s coupons.  Older readers will receive McDonald’s coupons and a magnetic bookmark, while supplies last.  Adult readers can turn in completed activity sheets through August 2nd and register for their prize drawing scheduled for August 5th.

Summer reading prize sponsors to date are:  Audubon Institute, Chalmette Movies, J & M Jewelers, Kiwanis Club of St. Bernard-Arabi, Local Flair, Louisiana Children’s Museum, McDonalds, MeMe’s Bar and Grille, National World War II Museum, New Orleans Paddlewheels Inc., Pets Plus, and Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers.

For more information, please stop by the library at 2600 Palmisano Blvd. in Chalmette or call 504-279-0448.  Patrons can “like” the library on Facebook to get updates on library activities and they can also check out the library’s website at www.mysbpl.org <http://www.mysbpl.org/> .