[StBernard] St. Bernard Port Commission vacancies

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 19 23:00:05 EDT 2014

Office of State Representative Ray Garofalo

State of Louisiana - House of Representatives

District 103

Chalmette, Louisiana

For Immediate Release

Monday, June 18, 2014

Contact:  John Scurich

(504) 278-6599

Legislative Delegation Seeks Applicants to Serve on St. Bernard Port
Commission

On behalf of the St. Bernard Parish legislative delegation, State
Representative Ray Garofalo is seeking applicants interested in serving on
the Board of the St. Bernard Port, Harbor and Terminal District which would
fill current openings.  "The port is a major asset to our parish, so it's
very important we find the right, dedicated people to serve," said Garofalo.
"It goes without saying that the persons we are looking for would have an
interest in seeing the port operate in an efficient and ethical manner."

While the only requirements placed on an applicant are being a qualified
voter and resident in St. Bernard Parish, it is beneficial for an applicant
to have a good understanding of business procedures and be able to
understand business statements, along with some practical accounting
knowledge.   Having some knowledge and understanding of contracts is also
helpful.

"These positions are purely community service," Garofalo added.  "There is
no compensation for serving, other than knowing you are performing an
important function for the port and parish."

Anyone interested in serving on the port board should forward to
Representative Garofalo's attention a resume/CV describing their personal
and professional background, as well as their community involvement.  Each
resume should include a cover letter explaining why he or she desires to
serve on the port Board.  "We'd like to know why they are volunteering to
serve and their ideas for the future of our port."  Previous experience in
port/transportation or similar business should be highlighted.

"This is the first time I've ever known there to be an open public search
being conducted to find dedicated citizens who are capable of serving in
such an important position," he added.  "I think it's important we make the
process as transparent as possible."

The Port Board meets on the second Tuesday of each month during regular
business hours.  Board members serve a five-year term in an oversight
capacity with approval/rejection authority on the operation of the port,
employees, and port contracts with vendors and professional services.

Garofalo emphasized "our port is one the biggest economic engines in our
parish.  It's important that we find individuals who are capable and
dedicated to serve so the Port continues to be a success."

The deadline for submission is July 31, 2014.  The email address is
garofalor at legis.la.gov and the mailing address is 100 Port Blvd., 2nd Floor,
Chalmette, LA 70043.  Anyone with questions can either email or call the
legislative office at (504) 278-6599.