[StBernard] After 40 years of service, Marilyn Westfall retires from St. Bernard school system

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 25 09:45:50 EDT 2014

After 40 years of service, Marilyn Westfall retires from St. Bernard school
system
Print Barry Lemoine By Barry Lemoine
on June 25, 2014 at 6:41 AM, updated June 25, 2014 at 6:42 AM

When Marilyn Westfall began her teaching career in St. Bernard Parish, a
McDonald's Big Mac was 49 cents, the Beatles' "Hey Jude" was at the top of
the charts, and the CBS television news magazine program 60 Minutes was
shown for the first time.

Now, after over four decades of service, Westfall has announced her
retirement.  A lot has changed since August of 1968, she said, but one thing
has remained constant during that time - her commitment to education and the
children of the community.

Westfall was always been an advocate for literacy and most recently was the
district's literacy coordinator, working for the federally funded  Title 1
program.  Westfall was also quite active in the Louisiana Reading
Association and the St. Bernard Reading Association where she served in a
number of leadership roles.  She also was the force behind other reading and
writing programs like Project Read and the Young Authors competition.  But
the true testament of her influence comes from those who knew her best - her
fellow educators.

Dr. Charles F. Raviotta, a supervisor for the district, said Westfall was
one of the most giving educators he has ever known.

"She was constantly on the lookout for strategies that helped teachers help
their students and was always willing to share.

Other co-workers spoke of Marilyn's kindness.  Cindy Franatovich said
Westfall always put others before herself. "I have never met a more kind,
gentle, thoughtful, generous person," Franatocvich said,

Arabi Elementary's Lisa Cucinella Pohlmann said she respected Westfall's
professionalism and collaborative spirit.

"Marilyn was a wonderful educator and I truly enjoyed working with her,"
Cucinella said. "Her smile always brightened my day. She had so many
wonderful
ideas about teaching and loved sharing them.  She will be greatly
missed."

Jo Ann Rosselli of Smith Elementary referred to Westfall as a gem.  "Mrs.
Westfall has been an example to many teachers and students in St. Bernard
Parish for her dedication and love for reading," Rosselli said "I will
always remember her kindness, dedication, and enjoyment for all that she
encountered over her years within St. Bernard Parish Schools. "

Jessica Gorbaty, the dance instructor at Chalmette High School, said
Westfall was a huge influence on her.  "Mrs. Westfall was my first grade
teacher at Arabi Elementary," she said. "She made me love school."

But it was Westfall's close friend and long time collaborator, Marylou Hay
that really summed up Westfall's impact. "Marilyn has spent her entire life
as an educator promoting reading as a fun adventure that could take you to
many places," Hay said. "Her goal was to instill the love of reading into
the students and the adults she touched.  Her love of learning and passing
it on to others will be one
of her greatest legacies."