[StBernard] The Dog Days of Summer, Man it's Hot!!

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 9 10:33:43 EDT 2014

St. Bernard Parish Animal Services

September 8, 2014

The Dog Days of Summer, Man it's Hot!!

It's here guys, it feels like the hottest time of the year and the heat
makes any outdoor activity nearly impossible for us as well as our pets.  As
the heat index soars into the 90 and 100 degree marks precautions need to be
taken to ensure the well-being of our furry friends.

Dogs do not sweat (except for a minimal amount through their paw pads) so
they do not tolerate high temperatures as well as humans.  Not even the big
guys that stay in the yard all the time, these temps are grueling on them as
well! Dogs depend on panting to exchange warm air for cool air.  So when the
temperature outside is close to a dogs normal body temperature, cooling by
panting is not an effective process and your little guy can't cool down.
Every summer we hear devastating stories of pets that become very sick or
die from heat stroke. One of the most common situations that lead to heat
stroke is pets being left in parked cars.  Even on an 80-degree day; which
for us living in lower Louisiana you would think to be relatively pleasant,
within 20 minutes the temperature inside a parked car can reach 109 degrees.
And don't think that cracking the windows makes a difference, it doesn't.

Other situations that put our pets at risk for heat stroke are exercising
them too strenuously in hot weather, being fenced in or kenneled on concrete
or asphalt surfaces,  or not having proper shade and fresh water provided
for them in the yard. Symptoms of overheating in pets include excessive
panting or difficulty breathing, increased heart and respiratory rate,
drooling, weakness, stupor and collapse.  If you suspect that your pet is
experiencing heat stroke seek veterinarian assistance immediately.

St. Bernard Parish Animal Services wants the best for you and your pet so
take care of each other during these Dog Days of Summer!