[StBernard] St. Bernard partners with Tulane to discuss nutrition in schools: Class Act

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 25 22:18:56 EDT 2014

St. Bernard partners with Tulane to discuss nutrition in schools: Class Act
Print Barry Lemoine By Barry Lemoine
on September 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM, updated September 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Improving the quality of school meals has been the focus and challenge for
school districts across the country ever since The Child Nutrition Bill was
passed in 2010.   Here in St. Bernard, Food Service Manager Joni Blum has
partnered with the Tulane University School of Public Health to keep current
with new developments and research in the field of nutrition.

Recently, a team of dietetic interns visited a number of school sites
providing food safety and nutrition information to the food services
employees and the students through group and individualized instruction.
Blum said that the partnership is an
invaluable one.

"The relationship with the members of the dietetic community continues to
provide invaluable resources for the growth and development of our program
as we strive to provide the best services for our students," Blum said. "I
also appreciate having new and fresh perspectives on things."

Visiting the district as part of their internship were Chelsea Rae Smyth,
Amy Davis, and Sarah Roger.  Part of their two-week stint here was time at
the Chalmette High School Health Center. The trio also met with CHS athletes
and emphasized the role that nutrition plays in competition.

Smyth said she enjoyed her time at the high school. "This school is making
quite the impact on its students and it has been an honor to contribute and
share my passion for nutrition," she said.

She said that the Health Center is a wonderful opportunity for students
since students received excellent healthcare in a comfortable and familiar
setting. "The high school years seem to be a great time to connect and teach
teenagers about the impact that nutrition has on their lives," Smyth said.

Sarah Roger has also enjoyed her time in the parish. "The most enjoyable
part of the rotation so far has been the hands-on experience and working
with students. I love teaching, so engaging with students is something I
enjoy and feel is very rewarding."

Each of the interns said living in southern Louisiana creates its own set of
challenges when it comes to nutrition. Smyth said her advice is to eat in
moderation and include a variety of colors in each meal to get as many
vitamins and nutrients as possible.

"Along with a balanced diet, I would suggest incorporating physical activity
or exercise on a regular basis.  New Orleans is such a great city to
explore.  Why not explore it via running or biking?  Every little bit counts
when it comes to fitness," Smyth said.

Roger echoed this advice. "Fried food is everywhere," she said. "Even just
switching to grilled protein and a baked potato would cut down on calories
and fat. Also, even in the heat aim for 30 minutes a day of physical
activity whether
it be weight training at a gym, running in a park or following a yoga
or exercise YouTube video in your own home."

Their colleague Amy Davis grew up in New Orleans, so is no stranger to
boudin, fried seafood, or French fry po-boys. "New Orleans has some of the
best food in the world and I would never tell anyone to stop enjoying it,
but what I would tell people is to indulge less, and savor it more,"  Davis
said.

She also stressed the importance of staying hydrated by drinking half
your body weight in ounces of water each day. "Hydration solves a lot of
problems. It wakes up the body, prevents overeating, and promotes better
digestion."

Davis said the students at Chalmette High School are fortunate to have
such a first-class facility on campus.  "The Health Center is fantastic,
"she said. "I'd venture to say it's nicer than any other high schools in
Louisiana, and comparable to the Health Center at LSU. The students are so
fortunate to basically have a doctor's office in their own school. It's a
great resource for them to help with any of their physical, mental, or
social health concerns."

Davies said  that the internship has been very rewarding because of
its varied approach. "Whether it's working in hospitals or schools, it
allows us to gain experience in a number of areas," Davies said. "We get a
little taste of
everything."